Per Diem ABE/HSE Teacher (P/T, On Call)
- Job posted by NMIC (Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation)
45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs, and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: Per Diem ABE/HSE Teacher (P/T, On Call)
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Education Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Per Diem ABE/HSE Teacher is an on call position responsible for providing instruction to ABE/HSE classes in the event the regularly scheduled teacher for the class is not available. The Per Diem ABE/HSE teacher is responsible for teaching provided lesson plans consisting of TASC-based English, Math, Science, and Social Studies content to adult and young adult learners who are enrolled in NMIC’s literacy programs. The Per Diem ABE/HSE teacher may teach class levels ranging from basic to advanced.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate curriculum for ABE and HSE instruction based on educational and Common Core Standards.
- Provide English, Math, Science, and Social Studies instruction to prepare students for the test to obtain their high school equivalency diploma, i.e., Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Monitor students' engagement and classroom conduct.
- Maintain attendance records and submit attendance logs to program staff.
- Host guest speakers, volunteers and/or alternate programming when needed.
- Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
- BA/BS required.
- MA strongly preferred.
- Minimum three years experience teaching ABE/HSE required.
- Experience teaching teens/youth preferred.
- Must have superb presentation & classroom presence, and be a dynamic instructor.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following to Jason Bocko, Academic Coordinator, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements
All attachments should be in Word or PDF form. No phone calls, please.