Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI will be working with its local partners and networks to create a conducive environment for the next steps of the political transition. To do so, DRI, in close cooperation with its local partners, will raise awareness among citizens (online and offline) on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitate exchange between citizens and relevant political and institutional actors (such as representatives of the National Election Commission, the Constitution Drafting Assembly and others).
Form of Employment: Long-term Consultancy
Starting Date: 1 November 2018
Duration: a minimum of 6 months
Location: Tunis, Tunisia / home-based deskwork
To analyse the online public discourse of Libyan citizens and its implications for the political transition, DRI is currently recruiting a Social Media and Data Analyst for its Libya country office in Tunis, Tunisia. In collaboration with DRI’s in-house Social Media Expert and the Research and Policy Officer, and under supervision of the Project Director you will identify relevant Libyan social media platforms for public political discourse, retrieve and analyse data of these platforms and produce relevant outputs.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Assess, together with DRI‘s in-house Social Media Expert and the Research and Policy Officer the feasibility of the research regarding data access and social media platforms in Libya and adjust the research plan accordingly;
- Prepare, code, and monitor the scraping of relevant data during the monitoring period, ensuring data reliability and retention, in close coordination with the coders;
- Develop the classification and coding system of data for relevant research questions and prepare an efficient system for hand-annotation of data;
- Train and supervise research assistants and coders on the coding of data;
- Produce data visualizations and advise on the design and presentation of reporting;
- Provide input into written research reports, as appropriate;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political science, social science or related field;
- At least two years of experience in social media data analysis using R programming language, Python, or equivalent;
- Expertise in social media monitoring, including mapping social media accounts (in Libya), advanced searches and archiving of data, and social network analysis;
- Experience working with social media APIs to retrieve data and produce data visualizations from large, unstructured datasets;
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, R, etc.);
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic (including the Libyan dialect) and English is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) in one PDF document to email@example.com. Please include “Social Media and Data Analyst (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 7 August 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10
DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic (including the Libyan dialect) and English is a requirement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your application (cover letter and CV) in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Social Media and Data Analyst (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.