Details: Salary will be based on experience
CYCLE Kids currently serves 3,500 children each year. This position will play a strategic role in the growth of the organization. We are looking to hire a person who is a strategic thinker, has a roll-up your sleeves can-do attitude, and has the ability to make things happen.
The mission of CYCLE Kids is to strengthen the emotional and physical health of children by inspiring them to lead an active and healthy lifestyle. Using the fun and practical skill of riding a bike, the program helps kids build confidence and develop their social skills. The program is focused on elementary school students living in underserved communities. See www.cyclekids.org for more information.
CYCLE Kids is looking for an individual to manage our events and work closely with our schools. This person will be primarily focused on event management with approximately 30% of their time providing operational oversight for the CYCLE Kids programs nationwide. This is a fulltime position based in New York City, reporting to the Executive Director of CYCLE Kids.
The primary event to be managed is the CYCLE Kids Spring Classic. The person in this position will be expected to create and execute on all elements of an event, with a strong focus on attendee recruitment and securing sponsorships. Activities included in managing events, but not limited to, are the following:
Event Management, Planning, and Logistics
- Managing the event project plan and timeline;
- Managing the event committee meetings including setting up regular meetings, producing an agenda, and following up on action items;
- Managing all event details and logistics leading up to the event and on the day of the event;
- Researching, negotiating, and securing vendors who will participate in the event on a donation or in-kind basis;
- Proactively handling any issues and troubleshooting emerging problems prior to and on the day of the event;
- Cultivating and managing volunteer committees as needed to help with event planning, execution, or other details;
- Managing event budgets and ensuring accuracy in developing estimates for a working budget and the actual spending;
- Recording and tracking success measures, evaluating the event against objectives, and recommending areas for improvement;
- Managing all details of the event wrap-up and future event pre-planning.
Marketing and Attendee/Sponsor Recruitment
- Creating and implementing a publicity schedule for the event and working with the social media team on event promotion;
- Managing all marketing materials (save-the-date, invitations, etc.), mailing lists, and ticket sales;
- Planning and executing attendee and sponsor cultivation events;
- Managing attendee recruitment, acknowledgement, and revenue reporting;
- Working with the event committee and the Board of Directors to recruit new attendees and sponsors.
- Identifying and soliciting new sources for sponsorship and maintaining relationships with existing sponsors;
- Managing all details associated with securing a sponsorship;
- Managing the receipt of the donation and the adherence to the sponsorship agreement.
Managing all aspects of running an auction, including but not limited to:
- Securing donations of auction items;
- Coordinating, organizing, and preparing all details for an online auction, including managing the pre-event marketing;
- Providing support for the auction during the event;
- Ensuring post event acknowledgement to item donors, and auction winners, including the delivery of items to the winners.
The program work is focused on developing and maintaining relationships with school administrators and teachers. Specific activities will include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Contacting program teachers to learn about best practices we can share with our schools, how we can better support them, and gathering success stories we can share with our other schools, our donors, and through social media;
- Working with the Executive Director to identify new school partners and to follow-up on inquires received for programs;
- Assisting in finding and writing grants, and meeting with funders to help fund existing and new programs;
- Working with diverse communities across the country to implement new programs, this includes coordinating the setting up of the program, providing training, collecting stories about the first year of implementation, staying in close contact with the school and teacher to ensure a successful first year, and being the primary point of contact for the school;
- Recruiting and managing staff and interns as needed to support program initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with project management and planning complex events.
- Highly organized, pro-active, detail-oriented individual.
- Ability to excel in simultaneously managing multiple priorities and tasks.
- Willingness to perform administrative tasks with enthusiasm and high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to both lead and be part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to write direct mail appeals, proposals, and letters of solicitation.
- Demonstrated creativity in fundraising initiatives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Note:This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
Minimum Education Required