The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Performance Development Manager will be integral to the formation of the professional development sub-department of People Ops at The Trevor Project, including hiring and managing the team responsible for organization-wide learning and development. This role will be responsible for the development journey of all Trevor staff, from conducting annual performance reviews to managing ongoing development projects within the organization. By providing staff with best-in-class coaching and development opportunities, the Performance Development Manager will contribute to retaining the 200+ employees who work to end suicide among LGBTQ youth every day at Trevor.
Who you are
- Intrapreneurial. You have a track record of successfully building impactful training and professional development initiatives. You are excited to roll up your sleeves and pivot as needed to get the job done.
- Perpetual Learner. You are energized by learning about new topics and can quickly get up to speed and disseminate information to others in a logical and digestible manner.
- Driven by Data. You are an analytical and metrics-driven leader who is comfortable leveraging data to inform programmatic decisions and assess effectiveness.
- Agile. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working with competing priorities. You maintain composure and remain positive under pressure.
- Culturally Competent. You are conscious of the intersectional nature of power, privilege, and oppression. You are willing to learn more about marginalized identities and bring your awareness to all the work you do.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork. This includes working with people at all levels of the organization and managing stakeholder expectations.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You understand the importance of contributing to a mission like Trevor’s as a member of the People Ops team.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do
- Develop and manage initiatives regarding professional development for individuals and teams
- Drive the strategy, roadmap, and execution plan for staff development for 200+ employees, updated and revised on a quarterly basis
- Design and deliver professional development workshops and individual coaching across all departments and levels of the organization in response to needs identified during formal performance reviews and informal performance evaluations
- Manage a growing professional development budget of over $500K
- Own existing and build new relationships with external professional development partners, e.g. LifeLabs Learning
- Align leadership and other stakeholders across the organization on staff development priorities, including manager development
- Take a curious and consultative approach to your work, getting up to speed quickly on a topic and developing a corresponding training based on your findings
- Partner with the People Operations Services team to apply performance development knowledge to performance improvement plans (PIPs)
- Review peer-reviewed research, conduct landscape analyses and utilize experts and training partners to inform your training content
- Partner with leaders across departments to develop cross-functional trainings and development programs on topics we have internal expertise on
- Act as a coach and cheerleader for our staff as they move through their development journey at Trevor
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend and reimbursement to outfit your work from home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter here. Applications without cover letters will not be considered - use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Performance Development Manager at Trevor specifically!