Make the Road New York
301 Grove Street
Hiring: PT (average of 20 hr/wk) Adult Literacy Administrative & Outreach Assistant for Bklyn-based Adult Literacy classes
Make the Road New York (MRNY) (www.maketheroadny.org) is a non-profit organization that builds the power of immigrant and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services.
Make the Road New York’s Adult Literacy Department seek a highly motivated, organized, and dedicated individual to do outreach and administrative work for our English, Citizenship and Bridge to Health Careers classes in our Bushwick, Brooklyn office.
The work will begin in September and continue through the school year. The hours for the position will go up and down a bit over the course of the year.
Candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish, possess strong computer and administrative skills and strong people skills as well (be comfortable talking with strangers). We need applicants to be trustworthy, with the ability to commit to a regular schedule and to work some evening & weekend hours as part of their schedule. Applicants will ideally have previous experience working in an office setting and/or out in the community. The ideal candidates must be efficient and communicative team players who are able to multi-task and work well under pressure. They should also be able to meet deadlines as needed, be fast learners, take initiative and work independently with high quality standards. In addition applicants should be proficient with Google drive and Microsoft Office suite programs, as well as have experience working with data entry in databases.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
· Outreach: distributing flyers about our classes to community members and at community organizations, businesses and events (8 or more hours a week)
· Calls: Calling students for intake and testing appointments, for re-enrollment, to follow up on absences, etc./ call community organizations if/as needed
· Data entry: enter notes in our database or google forms about new class candidates, attendance, call notes, outreach work, scheduled appointments, test scores, etc.
· Registration support/ attendance collection: Go to our off site location to collect attendance paperwork from classes and/or help with student registration
· Testing help: Pre and post testing of students using a variety of testing programs
· Communicating via phone, email, etc. with team members and across the organization as needed to keep work moving smoothly
· As needed: photocopying, faxing, filing, mailing, typing, updating waiting lists, and assisting staff with any other job requests.
· Also, must attend trainings and meetings, including regular support meetings with supervisees and supervisor and mtgs with other admin team members
Example of how a a week’s hours might break down: Outreach- 8-10 hrs, calls & appointment tracking-8 hrs, attendance pick up or intake 3 hrs (We expect to need help an average of 15-20 hrs/wk- it might vary and increase during very busy times)
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required