5701 Duke Street
Carpenter’s Shelter seeks a dynamic, innovative, experienced Volunteer Coordinator to play a key role in our Development Office. This position requires a thoughtful, compassionate, detail oriented, well-organized individual with strong interpersonal, writing and communication skills. We are seeking a self-starter, who takes initiative, can multi-task, manage time wisely, think creatively and be a team player.
About the Organization:
Founded in 1988, Carpenter’s Shelter is a highly recognized private 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization located in Alexandria, VA near Old Town. Carpenter’s Shelter supports more than 600 homeless and formerly homeless men, women and families with children each year.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the daily management and coordination of the shelter’s volunteer programs, activities and more than 1,200 volunteers.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
· Serves as the lead contact and manager for all volunteers and provides direction, coordination, and consultation for all volunteer functions within the shelter.
· Responsible for recruiting, screening, retaining, training and managing volunteers. Maintains an on-going relationship with volunteers, including feedback and recognition.
· Assist Development Office with fundraising and special events.
· Maintains the volunteer database.
· Manages monthly calendars for kitchen volunteers (meals), front desk, David’s Place, Winter Shelter and children’s programs.
· Ensure volunteer pool has timely, accurate information regarding shelter needs, developments and opportunities through various mediums.
o Public access video monitor;
o Monthly Volunteer Vine Enewsletter; and
o Social media outreach.
· Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation (Volunteer Dashboard).
· Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
· Coordinates and accepts donations.
o Manages records and organizes all in-kind contributions.
o Organizes back-to-school drive for all children in the Shelter.
o Organizes all holiday volunteer assignments, special events and donations.
· Organizes and conducts shelter tours and orientations.
· Coordinates and executes service/impact days.
· Represent Carpenter’s Shelter at various public forums, information sessions, community engagements and other occasions.
· Provides outreach to local schools and colleges, faith-based communities, and other groups and organizations. Develops and maintains cooperative working relations with the community.
· Other duties and special projects as assigned by the Director of Development.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years solid experience in volunteer engagement/management in a mid-sized nonprofit volunteer program.
· Commanding knowledge and experience in Volgistics, Omatic and Luminate. Excellent working knowledge of software applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Raiser’s Edge.
· Candidate must have exceptional oral, written communication and presentation skills.
· Being exceptionally well-organized, detail-oriented, proactive and goal driven is a must!
· An interest in homelessness.
· A sense of humor, outgoing disposition and a positive attitude.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
· Ability to pass a background check.
Salary: Commensurate with level of education and experience (mid $40’s).
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability or age. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally a diverse population.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter with salary requirements and resume electronically to Monise W. Quidley, Director of Development at MoniseQuidley@CarpentersShelter.org by September 7, 2018. In the subject line, type: “Volunteer Coordinator.” No telephone calls accepted.