Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the hook – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston.
BUILD believes in the potential of every student and is dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. We work in a collaborative environment where flexibility, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters.
Reporting directly to the Regional Executive Director, Bay Area/Los Angeles, the Program Director (PD) will lead the implementation of the BUILD program at our partner schools. S/he will maintain and develop school partnerships. The PD will provide instructional and programmatic leadership, training and accountability. The Program Director will liaise with multiple teams and stakeholders at BUILD to cultivate a culture of teamwork, excellence, collaboration and learning among existing and future BUILD sites and community partners. Working in collaboration with the BUILD Bay Area/LA staff, the Program Director will ensure that each satellite partner site in Los Angeles and surrounding areas is operating effectively and meeting the needs of students in alignment with BUILD’s mission and values. This role serves as the lead for balancing program quality, consistency, cost effectiveness and student-centered innovation.
Instructional Leadership & Development
- Provide regular coaching and professional development opportunities to grow individual facilitators’ skills, ensuring program excellence
- Foster a culture of belonging, trust, effective communication, perseverance, collaboration and overall excellence across partner sites
- Develop and maintain relationships with facilitators, volunteers and staff by demonstrating care, respect, and high expectations
- Collaborate with program staff in the Bay Area and other regions to provide trainings and guide and coach facilitators in using effective instructional practices, including experiential learning, for under-resourced youth
School & Community Partnerships
- Develop and manage partnerships with district leaders and school administrators to ensure effective implementation of BUILD
- Support the identification and selection of BUILD program teachers in collaboration with partners
Program Implementation, Evaluation & Development
- Utilize data to identify promising practices, celebrate successes, surface areas of improvement and recommend strategies to promote organizational growth nationally
- Contribute to the refinement of program elements and evaluation methods to improve organizational outcomes
Growth and Operations
- In partnership with the Regional Executive Director and Strategic Partnerships team, explore avenues to grow the program in Southern California with additional sections, schools, community centers, districts, and corporate partners. Assist with virtual and in person presentations to expand new partners
- Communicate program results to funders and other key stakeholders
- Research and explore earned revenue opportunities for programming based on demand and community needs.
- Participate in regional educational working groups and events, as needed, to enhance BUILD’s regional impact and presence
- Provide How-to-Guides on BUILD events implemented by on-site facilitators and provide feedback and ongoing coaching
- BA or BS degree in education or youth development, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of classroom teaching experience or direct service working with youth.
- Experience with entrepreneurship education and experiential education preferred; college counseling, and/or workforce development training a plus.
- High cultural competence with experience serving diverse populations and students from under-resourced communities.
- Self-starter, thrives in fast-paced environment and has a sense of humor
- 10% travel for regional and national gatherings; school visits to each partner school at least four times a year (post-COVID)
Successful candidates will demonstrate BUILD’s Core Values and competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
- Keep Students at the Center - As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
- Bring the Spark - As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students - Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
- Bridge Communities - As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
- Promote Diversity and Social Action - As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
- Strategic Thinking - Take into account and analyze various points of view and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context.
- Relationship-Building/Relationships Management - Utilize effective interpersonal skills and techniques to reach mutually beneficial goals over time.
- Entrepreneurialism - Demonstrate comfort with risk- and initiative-taking in order to achieve unique and aggressive goals.
- Creativity/Innovation - Envision new ideas that transcend traditional approaches and practices to move work forward.
- Qualitative Analysis - Review non-numeric, often subjective, data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions.
- Time Management - Effectively prioritize and execute projects based on time estimates and relative importance.
- Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Los Angeles
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) plan. In addition, eligible BUILD employees qualify for generous vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, and a flexible work environment.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.