Arlington Free Clinic is a community-based, volunteer-driven nonprofit committed to providing high-quality healthcare for low-income, uninsured Arlington adults. With the generosity of donors, the dedicated service of 400+ volunteers, and strong community partnerships, AFC provides comprehensive, coordinated care for our community’s most vulnerable residents. Access to care makes a critical difference in the lives of individuals and their families, providing peace of mind, economic security, and the comfort that comes from knowing your medical needs will be met.
We are seeking a part time (0.6) Director of Finance to support the mission and ongoing work of Arlington Free Clinic. The Director of Finance is a key member of AFC’s executive team and directs all finance-related activities of the organization. This is a great opportunity for a proven leader with strong analytic, finance, operational, and people skills to contribute to a strong organization with a critical mission.
All staff at Arlington Free Clinic are expected to operate from a patient-centered, equity-based approach. We believe that people, including underserved populations, should have access to healthcare services. Continuous application of Arlington Free Clinic’s values is essential to every position at the Clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Financial Leadership and Management
- Assure timely and accurate recording of transactions, maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, monthly account reconciliations, and preparation of required governmental reports (payroll tax, unemployment reporting, etc.).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for Arlington Free Clinic’s president, leadership team, finance committee, and board of directors. Specifically, balance sheet, budget to actual analysis, reserve funds report, and any additional reports deemed necessary to adequately convey Arlington Free Clinic’s financial standing.
- Recommend and implement systems, policies and procedures, and controls to ensure financial operations function efficiently and effectively.
- Develop and manage tools for budget oversight, financial forecasting, and cash flow.
- Provide timely budget management reports to the president and department leaders. Lead budget meetings with president and leadership team to ensure clear understanding of budgeted resources and reporting.
- Support finance committee, treasurer, and president in monitoring investment portfolio performance and ensure adherence with investment policy.
- Work with director of development and grants manager to account for restricted expenditures, analyze success of fundraising and to provide information and support for grant budgets and reports.
- Institute and oversee systematic approach to tracking restricted expenditures against like-restricted funding sources and ensuring all revenue is being maximized per contracts.
- Comply with standard nonprofit accounting principles
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage and maintenance.
- Liaison with external accountant and bookkeeper.
- Liaison with banking, investment advisors, insurance, and other outside professionals.
- Serve as liaison to contracted audit firm to support completion of fiscal year audit.
- Manage audit activities and ensure timely submission (including IRS Form 990 and related documentation) and updates to website and other formats for staff use.
- Manage contracts with vendors.
- Serve as lead staff support to the board’s finance committee and carry out decisions and action items from meeting in a timely manner.
- Uphold Arlington Free Clinic’s values in carrying out all duties as a representative of the organization.
- Represent Arlington Free Clinic at various community events, board committees, board meetings/events, and attend leadership and staff meetings as necessary and/or as assigned by the president.
- Provide direction and guidance to all Arlington Free Clinic staff in accordance with policies and procedures and in support of president.
- Provide leadership for Arlington Free Clinic as designated to do so by president in her/his absence, within extent of authority granted by president/board designee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by President.
- Actively participate as a member of executive leadership team and participate in leadership functions such as strategic planning, advocacy, and staff development.
- Demonstrate alignment with Arlington Free Clinic’s core value and mission.
- In partnership with Arlington Free Clinic staff, assist with Arlington Free Clinic community events.
- Attend meetings, as required.
- Compile and report relevant data and statistics as necessary.
- Maintain current industry knowledge and best practices.
- Adhere to Arlington Free Clinic policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated expertise in 501(c)(3) financial management and accounting
- High proficiency with Excel and other Microsoft Office applications; accurate reporting skills
- Proficient in QuickBooks accounting.
- Ability to meet deadlines, anticipate needs, and adapt to a changing environment
- Integrity, honesty, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication and an ability to present in a group setting
Employment and Compensation
- Reports to President
- Part time 0.6 FTE (Full time considered)
- Medical/dental insurance; flexible spending account, retirement benefits
- Combination of onsite and remote work
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Arlington Free Clinic provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Qualified applicants should email Nancy White at email@example.com. Please include a personalized cover letter and resume. NOTE: include "Finance Director" in the subject line.