2913 Kensington Avenue
Prevention Point Philadelphia (PPP) is a multi-service public health organization dedicated to protecting the health and welfare of the homeless, drug users, sex workers, and the uninsured. PPP meets people where they are, providing information and access to resources with dignity and respect. Using a harm reduction approach, PPP offers low threshold, culturally sensitive, non-judgmental services to address the health and social service needs of people in Philadelphia. PPP promotes harm reduction through mobile medical care, sterile syringe exchange, referrals to social services, and comprehensive prevention case management services.
Respite Support Staff Position Overview:
PPP operates emergency respite shelters for up to 80 homeless individuals. Every night respite guests are provided housing, food, showers, and other supportive services. Our goal is to assist these individuals with accessing necessary resources including long-term housing.
Respite support staff are responsible for creating and maintaining a clean, safe, and comfortable environment for respite guests. Staff are expected to build trusting relationships with guests and assist them in their efforts to secure housing and other necessary services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Must be able to engage, interact, and work toward fostering positive relationships with respite guests.
· Possess the ability to make quick and sound decisions within the respite environment.
· Assist housing coordinator and case management staff in connecting respite guests to necessary social services and community resources.
· Assist with emergency situations as needed. Be trained and willing to administer Narcan in the event of an opiate overdose.
· Maintain the safety and security of respite guests, co-workers, volunteers, equipment, and building. Regularly monitor the location and activity of all guests.
· Enforce all program policies and procedures.
· Assist in meal preparation and service.
· Assist with kitchen, bathroom, and common area clean-up as needed.
· Maintain accurate and timely logs for each shift.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Please note that this job requires working staggered, non-traditional hours including evenings and overnights.
Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
· Knowledge of and experience working with persons experiencing homelessness, substance use, and mental health issues.
· Dedication to assisting others while fostering their self-esteem and dignity.
· Commitment to a harm reduction philosophy including meeting people where they are and creating a safe, non-judgmental environment.
· Bi-lingual/Spanish speaking preferred
· Willing to familiarize self with and implement crisis de-escalation, overdose reversal, and mental health emergency protocols.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual Spanish strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume to email@example.com with Respite Support Staff as the subject line.
No calls will be taken for this position.