About Malala Fund: Registered as a public charity in the U.S. and U.K., Malala Fund is working toward a world where all girls can learn for 12 years and lead without fear. We advocate for resources and policy changes needed to give all girls a secondary education. The girls we serve have high goals for themselves — and we have high expectations for leaders who can help them. We invest in developing country education leaders and frontline organizations — the people who best understand girls in their communities — in regions where most girls are missing out on secondary school. We amplify girls’ voices. Malala Fund is building a movement of young education activists who, like Malala, speak truth to power around the world.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Staff Accountant, the Finance Associate will assist in processing and recording invoices, expense reports and bi-monthly payroll. S/he will serve as a main point of contact for key billing relationships and will support colleagues across multiple departments in budgeting, reporting and compliance matters.
This is an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic, entry-level candidates interested in joining a new and growing nonprofit lead by one of the world’s foremost advocates for girls’ education. The Associate will liaise across all departments and will gain a deep, behind the scenes understanding of nonprofit finance and compliance.
I. Responsibilities & Tasks:
● Prepare invoices for processing and payment.
● Help oversee submission and approval of expense reports.
● Assist in the creation and upkeep of project budgets, and the preparation of financial reports, dashboards and cash projections.
● Assist in reconciling corporate credit card activity against monthly statements, ensuring all transactions are approved and supported by receipts.
● Assist in reconciliation of various general ledger accounts.
● Help set up semi-monthly payroll for approximately 27 employees.
● Help monitor grants and pledges receivable to ensure payments are applied appropriately.
● Working with the fundraising team, review, reconcile and help to inform financial reports for Malala Fund donors.
● Assist with the annual audit and preparation of annual IRS filings.
● Assist with the annual 1099-MISC reporting process.
● Assists with the annual budgeting process and quarterly re-forecasting process.
● Maintain vendor and contractor files.
● Performs other financial tasks as requested by the Senior Staff Accountant.
II. Education, Experience & Skills:
● Minimum 1-2 years of related experience.
● A high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and flexibility.
● Extremely high attention to detail and very strong organizational skills.
● Good judgment and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with efficiency and poise.
● A high degree of professionalism, able to work well with colleagues, vendors, contractors and various stakeholders.
● Past experience with contracts, grant making, budget management, and/or financial reporting strongly preferred.
● Legally authorized to work in the United States.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Finance Associate” in the subject line of your email.
Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a background check.