ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: The Immigrant Legal Center (ILC)—a metro Omaha-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit—is the new name for Justice For Our Neighbors-Nebraska (JFON-NE), operating in Nebraska and Southwest Iowa since 1999. Under the new name, we remain an affiliate of Justice For Our Neighbors, a network of 15 state chapters offering more than 40 legal clinics for immigration services.
The mission of the Immigrant Legal Center (ILC) is to welcome immigrants into our communities by providing high-quality legal services, education, and advocacy.
ILC is an equal opportunity employer. ILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Rural Capacity Building (RCB) Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of direct legal services to immigrant families in targeted underserved rural Nebraska communities.
The RCB Attorney will work on identifying collaborative community partners to build capacity for the provision of long-term immigration services within the targeted rural communities. This RCB Attorney will work with the RCB program team, the ILC team, community members, and a wide variety of community partners to assist in carrying out the objectives of the program. Key program areas include providing direct immigration legal services to low-income immigrant community members in rural Nebraska; working with rural communities in identifying their local needs for capacity-building; and providing education, advocacy and representation support to facilitate growth toward community identified goals for rural community inclusion.
ILC is seeking candidates to fill two attorney positions Grand Island, one in Crete, and one in South Sioux City. Moderate travel to ILC service areas and throughout the state will be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend ILC immigration legal clinics and consultations, provide direct representation of clients before the Omaha Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as Nebraska’s County and District Courts.
- Oversee ILC’s cases involving the legal needs of clients in the targeted geographic areas under the applicable ILC RCB Supervising Attorney.
- Work in collaboration with Nebraska Appleseed, Heartland Workers Center, Centro Hispano, Multicultural Coalition, and the Center for Rural Affairs to build capacity and promote inclusion within targeted rural communities.
- Assist in the development of grant proposals and funding opportunities.
- Compile and analyze programmatic statistical information for reports.
- Contribute and steer outreach and education programs.
- Must have a J.D. and be admitted, or willing to be admitted to practice in Nebraska. Immigration legal experience, as well as experience working in the non-profit sector is preferred.
- Experience working and/or living in a rural community preferred.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, take initiative, handle multiple assignment, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures and faiths.
- Strong commitment to public interest legal services.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders including community partners, government officials, donors and the local community.
Employee medical, dental, and vision insurance.
403b Retirement Plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual, fluent in English and Spanish. (Fluency in English and another language may be considered based on the predominance of other language use in the immigrant community.)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, references and writing sample. Indicate location preference in cover letter.