CAMBA's Ready Readers Literacy Project focuses the development of rich vocabulary and language skills and flexible and fluent comprehension skills in program participants, with an emphasis on K- 2nd grade students, at CAMBA after-school programs in Brooklyn elementary schools. This program is funded by the Brooke Astor Education Fund, managed by the New York Community Trust, and operates as a collaborative with the following CBOs: Chinese American Planning Council, Cypress Hills Community Development Corporation, and Expand ED Schools.
The person filling this position is expected, under general supervision, to ensure the smooth running and coordination of all project/program-related staff and services between CAMBA and partnering schools on a day-to-day basis, in order to ensure that all project/program goals, targets, and performance outcomes are met on a monthly/project cycle basis; include the following:
- Lead the implementation of the Ready Readers literacy project approach at CAMBA after-school programs.
- Collaborate with the CAMBA After-School Site Director, Mentor Teacher and key School Administrators to ensure that the Ready Readers literacy project is implemented according to program guidelines.
- Coordinate and facilitate centralized training for all CAMBA Ready Readers staff.
- Facilitate weekly professional development workshops for CAMBA Ready Readers after-school staff onsite at the after-school programs.
- Provide formal and informal observations of staff members leading activities with children and offer professional feedback and support.
- Work one-on-one with staff members who need additional professional support and guidance in regard to infusing literacy learning into program activities.
- Manage the centralized- and program-based data collection for Ready Readers.
- Update and create library of resource materials such as lesson plans, instruction materials and reference guides for program staff.
- Research and develop instructional strategies, materials and lesson plans.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Certified Public School Teacher with at least five years of experience focused on early childhood literacy learning and elementary education. Master's degree required. (A license is required of these Master's Degrees: Social Work (LMSW or LCSW), Mental Health Counseling, Counseling/Guidance, and Art Therapy).
- Must have experience facilitating professional development for instructional staff.
- Experience in out-of-school time settings preferred.
- Must obtain Dept. of Health, Dept. of Education fingerprint clearance; doctor's note certifying good health; proof of negative results from TB test; Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and State Central Registry (SCR) clearance.
- Ability to maintain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance and fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
- Ability to adapt to the culture and environment of a public school.
- Position is full-time, year-round, general hours are 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Some Saturdays are required as per the Ready Readers centralized training calendar.
- May be required to work Holiday Program Days (including Veteran's Day, Mid-Winter Recess days, Spring Recess days, Chancellor's Day).
Minimum Education Required