The James Beard Foundation (JBF) is a vital cultural institution with deep roots honoring and advancing the culinary arts and industry for over 30 years. JBF’s mission is to celebrate, support, and elevate the people behind America’s food culture and champion a standard of good food anchored in talent, equity, and sustainability. The organization has experienced a historic year of organizational transformation and an increase in philanthropic support as it focused its efforts towards the independent restaurant industry rebuilding and recovery in the wake of the pandemic. JBF continues to evolve to be an impact-first organization. Moving forward, the continued accuracy and quality of financial reporting and analysis and improvements to the financial information we prepare and provide as a tool for organizational decision-making becomes ever more critical.
With this goal in mind, the Foundation seeks its next Director of Finance to partner with the finance team in developing and improving the organization’s financial systems and reporting structures at a pivotal time in JBF’s history. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Finance will play a critical role in the organization’s monthly financial close process management, implementation of a new accounting system in the process, management of the annual audit and tax return filings, and financial reporting, budgeting, and forecasting. The Director of Finance will work closely with the CFO and Director of General Accounting to create and improve processes that are accurate, efficient, and timely, and reporting packages for various stakeholders that are analytically informative, relevant, and crucial to decision-making processes.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a proven, detail-oriented financial professional with a comprehensive understanding of, and commitment to, best practices in not-for-profit accounting. The ideal candidate is meticulous with detail and precision and has a solid understanding of revenue recognition and restricted fund accounting. The Director of Finance is responsible for creating monthly and quarterly reporting for both internal and external stakeholders, including Board committee members. The ideal candidate will also be proficient in budgeting and forecasting, with solid analytical skills. The Director of Finance is a team player, interacting with all departments of the organization, as well as the Senior Leadership team, Board members, outside auditors and tax preparers, and other stakeholders. Relationship building and superior communication skills are critical to ensure a high level of integrity and collaboration.
This role will be based in New York City. JBF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a medical or religious accommodation is needed in accordance with applicable law.
· Under the guidance of the CFO, assure ongoing compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and regulations
· Prepare schedules in anticipation of the annual audit and tax return filings.
· Serve as primary contact with auditors for on-site engagement, follow-up reporting, and final preparation/review of the Fiscal Year Financial reports.
· Serve as primary contact with outside tax preparers for 990 filing process
· Assist in developing monthly/quarterly reports for each JBF Team Leader and other internal/external stakeholders
· Assist in identifying and developing reporting around key KPI’s
· Participate in quarterly financial update meetings with JBF Teams.
· Support the CFO with the budgeting and forecasting processes
· Support the CFO with visuals for analytic Board presentations and budget reports.
· Financial Monthly Close process management.
· Restricted Funds management and compliance oversight.
· Prepare ad hoc reports – for CEO, CFO, Board – on request.
The James Beard Foundation recognizes that relevant qualifications of a successful candidate will come from a broad range of lived experiences, education, and expertise areas. As part of the James Beard Foundation’s commitment to advancing equity within our organization and through our work, we are committed to an equitable hiring process.
We believe that when our organization reflects the culinary industry and the communities we serve – including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, etc. – that JBF is at its most impactful and effective. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. Desired experience of a successful candidate may include the following, but candidates will not be screened exclusively based on meeting these qualifications:
• Ten (10) years of experience in accounting and finance, with a focus on non-profit accounting a must
• Proficiency with accounting systems and coordination with other integrated systems, preferably Sage Intacct and Quickbooks
• Proficient with advance excel spreadsheets and visual presentation of financial data
Desired professional experience includes having a demonstrated track record of success in the following areas:
· Financial management role with medium to large-sized non-profit organization
· Lead role in managing through annual audit and preparation of audit support
· Lead role and preparation and review of annual audit report and footnotes
· Knowledge of the 990 filing process and proficiency with the preparation of supporting schedules and information
· Up to date knowledge of accounting trends, best practices, and GAAP regulations for non-profit organizations
· Experience working with Board committees and Board presentations
To be effective in this role, key core competencies and personal characteristics include:
· High energy and passion for the James Beard Foundation’s mission and a demonstrated commitment to advancing impact through racial equity, gender equity, sustainability, and leadership development are essential.
· Strong management, leadership, strategic, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
· Strong sense of presence and ability to develop and sustain meaningful and collaborative relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders
· Enthusiasm and confidence to take accountability and leadership
· Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the finance team and the organization
· Strong commitment to accuracy and precision of information
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to “tell at story” with the numbers
· Player/coach mentality – collaborative, flexible and willing to take on tasks as necessary to achieve desired results.
Salary Band for this position is between $75,000 and $125,000
The James Beard Foundation (JBF) is a vital cultural institution with deep roots honoring and advancing the culinary arts and industry for over 30 years. JBF’s mission is to celebrate, support, and elevate the people behind America’s food…