Texas Latina Advocacy Network (TX LAN) Field Coordinator
- Job posted by National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
Details: NLIRH offers a competitive salary determined via an annual compensation survey of the social justice field that aligns with our values of wage justice for all, along with a comprehensive package of benefits
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Founded in 1994, the mission of the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) is to build Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice. We elevate Latina leaders, mobilize our families and communities, transform the cultural narrative and catalyze policy change.
JOB DESCRIPTION: NLIRH seeks a Texas Latina Advocacy Network (TX LAN) Field Coordinator. This is a new position, and we are looking for a committed individual who is passionate about organizing to raise the voices of Latinas in Texas for policy change at all levels of government on issues that impact their lives, women’s health care and other social justice issues through grassroots advocacy. The TX LAN Field Coordinator will build the base of activists willing to take action on issues, develop community leadership, build relationships with key local, state and national stakeholders, partners, and elected officials, advance civic engagement strategies, and assist in campaign development and implementation. The position will work to expand the grassroots movement for Reproductive Justice in the Houston metropolitan area. Candidates must have experience in community/political organizing, and a commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
This position will directly report to the Associate Director of Texas Field and Advocacy.
POSITION LOCATION: The Texas LAN Coordinator will operate predominantly from the field in Houston.
- Build a cadre of Latina activists to advance and support the NLIRH agenda through organizing and outreach to community members and organizations.
- Manage day-to-day operations of LAN
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with elected officials, community partners, and organizational allies.
- Lead civic and voter engagement efforts in the region, including:
- Activist management to conduct engagement activities including running a canvass and/or phone bank, and elected official outreach;
- Build and track outreach activities;
- Implementation of agreed upon outreach and targeting plans.
- Activate base to rapidly respond to urgent legislative issues.
- Deliver trainings as part of overall leadership development plan.
- Work closely with the Director of Field and Advocacy and the Community Mobilization team on other Community Mobilization efforts, such as our National Advocacy Weekend in Washington, D.C.
- Serve as an NLIRH spokesperson for media and communications opportunities as determined.
- Track and report progress on programmatic goals, as well as track and report programmatic expenses in a timely manner.
- Travel required; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prior community organizing or political campaign experience is required.
- Have a working understanding of the structure of the state; knowledge of the Houston landscape is required.
- Knowledge and commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
- Familiarity with modern technology (preferably familiar with civic engagement tools i.e. the Voter Activation Network (VAN) and Catalist voter files), understand and utilize social media and be metrics driven.
- Preference given to candidates with relationships with key policymakers, civic engagement and reproductive health and rights stakeholders in the region.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ideally own transportation.
- Strong communication skills, including comfort with public speaking.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, think critically and creatively, and take initiative.
- Ability to work well with a team and take direction and feedback.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, database management/web/online tools, and social media/new media technologies.
Compensation: NLIRH offers a competitive salary determined via an annual compensation survey of the social justice field that aligns with our values of wage justice for all, along with a comprehensive package of benefits.
The National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Vacation, personal and sick time
- Professional development funds
- Retirement plan, including employer match
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: Applicant - TX LAN Field Coordinator.