Reports to: Executive Director
At Pasado’s Safe Haven, we envision a world where every animal is recognized as an individual with the right to live free from abuse, abandonment, neglect, and exploitation. We pioneer best practices in education and activism, and our commitment to justice in human-animal relationships drives work that is focused on the most vulnerable animals among us – victims of cruelty and neglect, pets of low income families lacking access to critical services, and those whose very survival depends upon social and/or legislative change. We are raising the bar on an entire system.
Pasado’s Safe Haven adheres to and exceeds sector best practices and enjoys the highest accreditation from the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, Guide Star and Charity Navigator. In preparation for a major capital campaign, Pasado’s Safe Haven is seeking an experienced DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT to join our dynamic team.
The Development Director is the primary person responsible for helping the organization systematically grow and strengthen its overall fundraising capacity and ensuring diverse fundraising support. This includes managing all development activities. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Create and execute a comprehensive, annual fundraising plan to successfully support the organization’s goals, helping ensure at 8-10% annual growth year over year; key plan components include specific dollar goals, strategies and tactics for each of the following areas: major gifts, community gifts, monthly & planned giving, lapsed donors, employee giving, new donor acquisition
- Emphasis on managing and growing major donor program; manage all donor “moves”, creating pathway to successful asks
- Maintain all development files and records regarding prospective contributors on all levels and assure that all other necessary records are available as needed for smooth development, reporting and auditing operations.
- Manage and/or create all necessary administrative systems and procedures to track, record, report, acknowledge, and recognize all contributions and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all fundraising, prospect and donor communications.
- Provide strategic counsel and reports to Executive Director to evaluate effectiveness of plans including metrics/analysis for print/email communications, giving by donor segments, etc.; Proactively recommend changes in strategy as necessary
- Support the Pasado’s Safe Haven Board of Directors with key asks enabling them to take on an increasingly active fundraising role
- Interface with Pasado’s Safe Haven Communications and Event staff to ensure all Development activities are integrated, optimized and well-coordinated
- Effectively integrate planned capital campaign efforts into overall donor strategy and tactics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding analytical skills demonstrated in managing prospect pipeline strategies and aligning them to fundraising and campaign priorities as well as in research and reporting abilities
- Excellent communication skills in writing, in-person, and over the telephone with the ability to be knowledgeable and articulate in stating the organization’s mission and vision, and the case for support of its priorities
- Ability to appropriately manage highly-confidential information
- A strong degree of initiative, problem-solving skills, and flexibility
- A disciplined, results-oriented self-starter demonstrating initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to interact with all constituents, including donors, colleagues, Board and volunteers with respect and professionalism
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Authentic interest in and passion for the mission of Pasado’s Safe Haven
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years proven fundraising experience relevant to the responsibilities
- Ability to work some evening and weekends for development events is required
- Experience with fundraising databases; proficiency with Word, Excel is required
- Medical, dental, and vision, (employees contribute a percentage)
- Paid-time-off and holidays, accrued according to schedule
- “At cost” veterinary care when possible
- Opportunity to bring your dog to work (in some instances)
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter (including salary requirements). Only those applicants selected for consideration will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required