864 Delaware Avenue
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BUFFALO
Job Title: Interpreter Coordinator
Compensation: $12.75 per hour
Classification: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Working Hours: 40 hours per week
Program: Interpretation & Translation Department
Supervisor: Director of Interpretation & Translation
Job summary: Coordinate foreign language interpretation services for customers in various industries, in a fast-paced and collaborative office setting.
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
Experience: The focus of this role is to coordinate foreign language interpreting, and to support the coordination of document translation services as needed. Experience working collaboratively in a team environment and with diverse cultures is preferred.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
· Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Basic proficiency with technology including Microsoft Word, Excel, and mobile applications.
· Able to problem-solve and meet deadlines in a fast-paced business environment.
· Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision.
· Able to maintain confidentiality.
· Able to prioritize and follow-up in a timely manner.
· Able to work effectively with a team and with management.
· Knowledge of interpreters’ codes of ethics.
· Must adhere to Social Worker’s Code of Professional Ethics.
· Background in interpreting / translation preferred.
· Working knowledge of linguistics or foreign languages preferred.
Level of Supervision: Works under the general supervision of the Director of Interpretation & Translation. Does not supervise any direct reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage Interpretation Requests
- Manages interpretation requests by telephone, email, and through online scheduling system/ database
- Ensures accurate data entry of requests
- In collaboration with the Interpreter Scheduler, field incoming requests, coordinate with customers and interpreters, and monitor interpretation needs
- Coordinate complex and special interpretation projects including school exams, conferences, and translation/interpretation collaborative projects.
- Provide clear and timely communication with customers
- Onboard and train customers to place interpretation requests directly in the scheduling platform.
Contracts and Agreements
- Onboards new customers, ensuring all new customer paperwork is completed, including contracts and financial forms
- Collaborates with Director of Interpretation & Translation to execute customer contracts
- Communicates with customers regarding requirements for Interpreting Services
- Ensures accurate record-keeping of Business Agreements
Recruitment and Hiring of Interpreters
- Supports recruitment, interviewing, and training of interpreters in collaboration with the Project Coordinator
- Advises Project Coordinator on priority languages and credentials for recruitment efforts
Maintains Current and Accurate Records
- Maintains accurate interpreter information in the scheduling platform
- Maintains current and accurate customer information in scheduling platform
- Establishes and maintains professional and excellent customer service with customers and interpreters.
- Corresponds with customers and interpreters as necessary.
- Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, supervisor, volunteer/interns and other Institute staff.
- Keeps supervisor informed of activities and potential problems.
- Maintains knowledge of current events and developments in the interpreting and translation professions.
- Assists other co-workers as needed and as workload dictates.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Promotes the best interest of the agency.
- Schedule may include occasional weekend and or evening hours as needed to meet the demands of customers.
- Highly collaborative, necessitating shared office space.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent oral and written English language skills are required.
Additional languages are helpful but not required.
Minimum Education Required