Details: Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience
637 S. Dearborn
Grassroots Illinois Action is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. Activities performed by Grassroots Illinois Action include educating the public about policy issues impacting working families, legislative lobbying, and community-based electoral work.
Grassroots Illinois Action (GIA) is building community-based, independent grassroots electoral infrastructure. We work to expand the political influence of our members to promote a progressive agenda that addresses our collective needs. To this end, we support candidates who embrace our vision. Additionally, we support our grassroots leaders by providing them with the tools they need to win political power in their communities.
We are seeking an experienced organizer who is excited to coordinate our electoral activities to educate and mobilize voters for the November 2018 elections, while also building our local organizing committees. The work will be fast-paced and exciting.
The best fit for this position will be a strong team player who can also work independently and a quick learner with a can-do attitude. This person will have a strong desire to build political power for the 99%, a sense of urgency and a love for grassroots community organizing.
The organizer reports to the Deputy Director, and will work closely with other GIA staff. Their primary partners, though, will be the residents and leaders who are working hard to improve their community and elect a progressive champion.
· Operate a Daily Voter Outreach Canvass
o Recruit and Hire Voter Education Canvassers
o Manage a team of 6-10 Canvassers to reach daily outreach goals
o Provide training and assistance
o Manage Employment Paperwork and Payroll Data
o Assist with Data Entry
· Coordinate our Precinct Leader Program
o Assist Veteran Precinct Leaders with goal setting, developing outreach plans and recruiting volunteers
o Prepare and Manage Canvassing Lists and Materials for Leaders
o Track Progress to Goal and Motivate and Support Leaders as Necessary to Achieve Weekly and Monthly
· Assist with leading Volunteer Voter Outreach Canvasses and Phone Banks
· Plan and Execute Early Vote Program and Election Day Plan
· Build GIA Committee through:
o Identification, recruitment and development of additional community leaders
o Working with the GIA steering committee, develop a post-election plan for newly involved leaders
· Organize Committee Events (meet and greets, volunteer events, etc)
· Build effective relationships with other ally organizations in the ward
· Assist with GIA grassroots fundraising efforts and related administrative tasks
· Perform any other work as needed to further the mission of the organization
Knowledge & Skills:
· One year minimum of experience in community or labor organizing or related experience
· Working knowledge of the Voter Activation Network
· Experience in and commitment to working in a collaborative fashion
· Proven ability to listen, understand, and develop leadership of diverse constituents
· Strong organization skills, and ability to meet deadlines
· Ability to think and act flexibly and creatively in a high-paced environment
· Understanding of Chicago politics and community issues
· Willingness to work at times long and irregular hours
· An energetic commitment to social justice and working within an anti-oppression framework
· Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.
Grassroots Illinois Action is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.