1719 N Street NW
District of Columbia
The Society for Science & the Public seeks a smart, hard-working and creative communications associate with a strong interest in STEM education and public relations for our Communications Department. The Communications Associate will assist with the coordination of Society for Science & the Public’s communication efforts. The ideal candidate will be a problem solver and self-starter with strong written and oral communications skills. Reporting directly to the Chief Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will have 1-3 years of full-time professional work experience (applicable internship experience acceptable).
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
· Drafting blog posts and providing social media support
· Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage.
· Conducting background research of media and other third party stakeholders
· Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists
· Attending events and meetings and preparing follow-up reports.
· Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science & the Public is mandatory.
· Monitoring relevant print, broadcast, and online coverage of Society issues and events.
· Assist with drafting press releases and coordinating press conferences.
· Assist with coordinating public speaking engagements
· Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output.
· Excellent organizational skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· High level of professionalism and time management skills.
· Experience with social media and tools related to media outreach, including Cision.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
· A flexible, collaborative and collegial work style.
Required Education and Experience
· BA degree or equivalent experience required.
· Between 1 to 3 years of relevant, full-time professional work experience required.
This is a fulltime position based in Washington, D.C.
To apply send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the name of the position in the subject line.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Minimum Education Required