1542 Columbus Avenue
DEPARTMENT: Community Engagement
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Community Engagement
SUPERVISES: Interns and Volunteers
OVERVIEW: The Community Engagement Officer is an outgoing, solution-oriented professional committed to maximizing stable tenancies, increasing the economic resiliency of families, and providing leadership opportunities for residents. He/she focuses on connecting residents to social service providers, increasing the income of families, supporting resident-led activities and groups. The Community Engagement Officer works closely with human service agencies that provide assistance such as elder services, job placements, domestic violence prevention, home health aide, and after-school programs. He/she acts as a liaison between residents and property management and works to increase opportunities for residents to enhance their income and assets, as well as to connect residents to health & wellness, and educational opportunities. The Community Engagement Officer represents the organization to a variety of stakeholders including residents, neighborhood organizations, and city and state agencies.
STATUS: Full-Time GRADE: 4
• Direct resident resource coordination initiatives that maximize stable tenancy and increases opportunities to enhance the income of residents. This includes collaboration with the property management company in order to carry out these initiatives as well as designing and executing effective communication strategies to inform residents of community events and other relevant information.
• Propose and implement leadership development initiatives and activities intended to increase the success of residents in their lives and support meaningful resident engagement. This includes resident association organizing initiatives that build the capacity of resident associations.
• Collect all required community engagement information and input onto appropriate community engagement databases.
• Work with the Real Estate team and other Urban Edge teams as appropriate to ensure that residents of Urban Edge’s service area are engaged and participating in the organization’s work and decision making.
• Work with community partners to recruit residents for a two generation approach to a pre-k readiness program. The program is fourteen weeks long and runs two nights a week. The ideal candidate will be able to design a creative resident driven program that measures outcomes and actively engages particpants.
• Assist in report writing for community engagement activities and initiatives.
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with key neighborhood groups and social service organizations in order to maximize resources available for residents.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with residents with the goal of integrating them into other community engagement initiatives in the community.
• Work closely with property management and other staff to identify and resolve resident issues that destabilizes tenancy.
• Attend and participate in departmental, organization-wide, and other meetings (such meetings often occur at night and/or on the weekends).
• Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual respect.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Two to three years of experience in resident resource coordination, community organizing, community planning, and/or community relations.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish).
• Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work under time constraints on a variety of projects and tasks. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Minimum Education Required