Amber Charter Schools provide our students with an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, which will enable them to prosper in their future endeavors.
Amber Charter School East Harlem was founded in 2000 as the first Latino-led charter school in New York State. It currently serves 500 K-5 students. Amber Charter School Kingsbridge opened in 2016 and serves 420 K-4 students. A third school has been approved to open in the Inwood community in 2021 and will serve K-8 students. By 2025, the ACS network will serve just under 2000 students across three NYC neighborhoods.
Join a team devoted to positively impacting the lives of children and families every day. Come help build lifelong learners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Building Manager will be responsible for managing a single school, ensuring effective and efficient day-to-day facility operations, managing maintenance and overseeing custodial staff and vendors to provide critical building services. This role has become ever more critical for our network, as we are committed to maintaining the highest level of safety for all staff and students during the current COVID-19 health pandemic.
Building Oversight and Compliance
- Ensure appropriate expertise and cost-effective services are in place to meet facility needs.
- Coordinate with the Director of Operations to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations and inspections (e.g. FDNY, Department of Environmental Protection, etc.) and maintain all documentation and certifications.
- Implement required fire and safety drills in collaboration with the Director of Operations, and maintain documentation for and compliance with fire egress plans and fire drills.
- Contribute tactical expertise and knowledge to inform long-range facility management and improvement plans.
- Research costs and prepare estimates to inform annual budgetary decisions and long term investment priorities.
Facilities Maintenance and Management
- Serve as the on-call responder for emergency facility issues, available 24/7 via phone and email, and in person when necessary.
- Coordinate preventative, routine and reactive repair maintenance of all building systems, including but not limited to:
- Fire/life safety (including fire alarm panel)
- Digital systems (fire alarm, security access, boiler panel)
- Boiler & burner systems
- Mechanical (HVAC, plumbing)
- Electrical (lighting control equipment, electrical panel boxes)
- Light construction (painting, doors, locks)
- Regularly monitor and inspect all areas of the building; report deficiencies and draft recommendations for improvement in a timely manner.
- Conduct minor plumbing, electrical or other repair and maintenance work as needed. Fully troubleshoot a repair before engaging any contracted vendor/service provider.
- Respond in a timely manner to staff facility-related requests and complaints, analyzing and prioritizing concerns, formulating action plans, and monitoring follow-through and resolution.
- Work collaboratively with the DIrector of Operations and school safety/operations staff to coordinate emergency responses.
- Maintain all administrative records (e.g. on-line log books, work records, maintenance records, contractor visits, keys issued, etc.)
- Manage facility-related inventory records (e.g. custodial supplies, tools, furniture).
- Supervise custodial staff & contractors to ensure:
- Adherence to daily and nightly cleaning schedules (particularly bathrooms and cafeteria/classroom meals).
- Building exterior is maintained, including trash, daily washing front sidewalk and snow removal.
Manage Contracted Services
- Create and maintain reliable, vetted and current vendor list for every trade and building need.
- Manage utility service, oil deliveries & yearly maintenance contracts.
- Identify and secure porter service in the custodian’s absence.
The Building Manager may also assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Operations.
Reports to the Director of Operations.
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as an effective building manager, preferably in a school.
- Familiarity with key building systems (boiler, burner, radiators, electrical, plumbing, security).
- Familiarity with life safety codes.
- Understanding of electronic work order systems.
- Comfort utilizing technology to communicate, track and organize work and information (e.g. Google Suite, documents, spreadsheets).
- Great time and task management; an ability to prioritize, manage multiple obligations and initiatives and follow through.
- Strong systems-thinker, a capacity to envision, plan, and implement new/revised protocols and practices that streamline or improve school building functions.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as on a team and to take direction as needed.
- Strong attention to detail; able to develop and maintain organizational and documentation systems.
- Strong analysis, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- A deep sense of ownership and responsibility.
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s core values.
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
- Commitment to leveraging the existing strengths and supporting the continuous evolution of our communities, students, families and staff members.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Spanish-speaking preferred
- S-95 Certificate of Fitness for Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems.