8325 Northeast 2nd Avenue
WE’RE LOOKING FOR AWESOME ORGANIZERS!
We’re looking for authentic, talented and resourceful communicators who are passionate about building grassroots political power for young people in Miami-Dade County through field organizing and relationship building. Our Engage Miami organizers are a core part of our staff team and will be the leaders behind our efforts to engage, mobilize and register young voters and make sure our voices are heard at the ballot box. This will include but is not limited to voter registration and voter mobilization efforts. This position offers tremendous opportunity for leadership, innovation, teamwork and professional and political development. The right applicant will be serious about building the grassroots political power of young people in Miami-Dade County. Organizers will report to the Organizing Director.
Engage Miami is 501(c)(4) organization. Our mission is to build a more just, democratic, and sustainable Miami by developing a culture of civic participation for young people that is BOLD, CREATIVE, IMPACTFUL, and LOCAL. We are shattering the myth that millennials are apathetic by reimagining civic access and information for the 21st Century in Miami. We are an affiliate of the Alliance For Youth Action, a national network of local groups helping America’s biggest and most diverse generation take our seat at democracy’s decision-making table.
- Register diverse young people to vote in the field through canvassing on college campuses, community events, festivals, and concerts
- Work on a team to execute large-scale voter registration, issue campaigns, and turnout program targeting young voters in Miami-Dade
- Recruit, train, and organize volunteers to collaborate with us on civic engagement
- Lend a hand to all areas of the Engage Miami organization, as needed
- Relevant Software & Tools
- Microsoft Office
- Google Apps
- VAN (ideal but not required)
- Computer and Phone
What We’re Looking For
- An authentic, grounded person with a strong sense of why they organize, and a deep commitment to building power for young people in Miami
- Commitment to Engage Miami’s mission and the organization’s values, goals and objectives
- Excitement for (or at least comfort with) approaching and talking to hundreds of young people every day in the field
- Passion for and ideally experience with tackling issues affecting young people
- A relational person who empowers and develops young leaders
- A highly organized person, who is able to work independently, able to work as a part of a team, and able to work under pressure
- Experience growing up in, or working in, diverse communities
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative and is committed to growth
- Effective verbal and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work nontraditional hours on a regular basis & campaign hours during election season
- Reliable transportation and a driver’s license required
- Spanish or Creole language skills are a plus, but not required
This is a full-time, seasonal position with potential opportunities to continue past the voter
registration deadline in October until elections in November of 2018. Salary is $32,000 annualized
with personal healthcare provided. Paid time off contingent upon length of employment.
If You’re Not Sure Whether to Apply? Apply!
Our ideal candidate has experience in or knowledge of some of the following areas: canvassing and field work, voter registration, volunteer recruitment and management, election work, issue activism, and event planning. BUT, we care most about your desire to do the work. The same goes for formal educational experience-if you don’t have it, no big deal.
We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you! We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
Personal health insurance is provided. Paid time off contingent upon length of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish or Creole language skills are a plus, but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a single PDF application with a paragraph explaining why you are interested in the position, a resume, and 3 references (name, how you know the person, title, phone, and email) to Engage Miami’s Organizing Director, Ariel Sepulveda, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.