Colorado Outdoor Business Alliance Organizer
Location: Denver, CO
Deadline for submission: March 9, 2018.
Work Schedule: Full-time (non-exempt, overtime eligible position). This position extends through December 2018 with possibilities to continue past that date.
Conservation Colorado is seeking a full-time organizer for our Colorado Outdoor Business Alliance (COBA) program, who will oversee all COBA activities, partner with our Development Team to cultivate corporate sponsorships and giving, and cultivate advocacy engagement from the outdoor recreation industry, energy and technology sector, and key businesses across Colorado. The Colorado Outdoor Business Alliance (COBA) is a 170-member organization of businesses across the state that have come together to advocate for stronger public lands protections, increased renewable energy, clean air, and healthy rivers.
The ideal candidate will have experience as an organizer and in fundraising, be familiar with the business community in Colorado, and will have a commitment to engage and inspire the public to advocate for themselves and their communities on conservation issues. She or he will be able to skillfully engage with corporate leaders and articulate why conservation of Colorado’s natural resources and environment is good for business. This position offers an excellent opportunity to work on environmental issues in Colorado, gain community organizing and campaign experience, and build relationships with the business community, outdoor industry leaders, elected officials, and policy makers to create positive change.
About Conservation Colorado
Conservation Colorado works to protect Colorado’s environment and quality of life by mobilizing people and electing conservation‐minded policy makers. We work closely with policy leaders, citizen activists, businesses and other conservation/progressive nonprofits, and have built a reputation as one of the leading conservation advocacy organizations in the state. This coming year we will be engaging in work that involves educating the public and advocating for the protection of Colorado’s rivers, maintaining and enhancing the protection of our public lands, and increasing support for more renewable energy development across the state.
Our work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture, policies, and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The COBA Organizer reports to the Front Range Field Manager and is based in Denver. Responsibilities include:
● Conduct targeted outreach to business leaders to cultivate relationships and advocacy for priority land, water, and climate campaigns;
● Work with individual members of COBA to increase their advocacy skills through trainings, coaching, relationship development, and building a community for COBA members;
● Shape the narrative around conservation issues in Colorado from a business perspective by designing and overseeing tactics including sign-on letters, lobby days, advocacy events, and traditional and social media campaigns that focus on COBA engagement;
● Educate and engage the business community through events, luncheons, happy hours, and film screenings;
● Communicate with COBA members regularly via in-person meetings, attending conferences and related events, phone calls, and email.
● Work closely with the Development Team to identify and cultivate corporate partners and manage outreach to businesses across the state;
● Develop and enact long-term fundraising plans, and be actively involved in raising money;
● Lead in the creation of COBA and Conservation Colorado’s strategy regarding participation in and around the 3 yearly Outdoor Retailer Shows in Colorado
We’re seeking a candidate who is results-focused, highly-driven, possesses outstanding
Interpersonal communication skills, and is organized and meticulous. You should possess:
● Demonstrate strong written, verbal communication, and public speaking skills;
● Have experience organizing events, managing high-level relationships, and fundraising;
● Be comfortable discussing local, state, and federal conservation issues with the media, business owners, local elected officials, partner organizations, and the public regardless of their background or knowledge on our issues;
● A track record of cultivating strong relationships with and generating respect and trust from individuals and groups;
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles;
● A passion for and an enjoyment of organizing and community power building;
● Demonstrate creativity and critical thinking when brainstorming and problem-solving;
● Share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Spanish/English bilingual is a skill we value, but it is not a requirement. The position requires a willingness to work some evening and weekend hours. Familiarity with Colorado’s political, environmental, and/or outdoor recreation or technology business sectors are preferred.
Salary is competitive and includes health/dental benefits, retirement with match, paid time off program and sabbatical program.
We are committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization and conservation movement to fully represent and engage all Coloradans and to build as powerful a movement as we can. Recruiting staff that better reflects Colorado is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, race, ethnicity, geographies, political affiliation, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If this job truly speaks to you, please send a cover letter that explains why (not just your usual cover letter!), and resume to email@example.com with “COBA Organizer” in the subject line by March 9th, 2018. We are also hiring for a very similar position, posted on our website, titled “Field Organizer.” If you are interested in applying to both jobs, please state “BOTH COBA and Front Range Field Organizer” in your subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate where you saw this job posting. No phone calls please.