50 Milk Street
Who We Are
Founded in 2004, Root Cause is a nonprofit consulting firm that partners with nonprofits, foundations, and governments who are striving to improve life outcomes in education, health and financial well-being with a particular focus on eliminating disparities. For over a decade, Root Cause has pioneered efficient, evidence-driven approaches to strategic business planning, financial sustainability, and performance measurement. This history has shaped Root Cause’s current focus on facilitating strategic clarity and alignment, coordinated action, measurement capacity building, and evaluation, within and across multiple organizations. The Root Cause team is known for taking an approach that is collaborative and implementation-focused, using a team-based model that gives clients the expertise and conceptual skillsets typically found in management consulting firms combined with seasoned, hands-on nonprofit and business leadership experience. Together with its clients, Root Cause improves outcomes, grant-making and most importantly, people’s lives—faster, better, smarter, at greater scale.For more information, please visit: http://www.rootcause.org.
Root Cause is made up of passionate, smart, and collaborative people who have a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Our organizational culture is collegial, entrepreneurial, and flexible. Our small size and dynamic nature of work – combined with the urgency for action in the social sector – provide many opportunities to learn and grow professionally and to contribute to shaping our strategy, service delivery, and the development of Root Cause overall.
Our consulting clients are based throughout the United States, and an increasing number of projects are multi-year engagements where we work to advance systemic and sustained impact. We are currently looking to staff projects that address family economic security, the education-to-employment pathway, and the creation of place-based systems of care during early childhood and beyond. All of these projects involve multiple partners from the corporate, nonprofit, philanthropic, and government sectors. Project teams typically have two to four members, including a lead consultant, a manager and an associate. Teams may also include additional senior-level consultants with complementary areas of expertise.
Associates contribute to our clients’ success and social impact by playing an active role in all stages of client service delivery – collecting research and performing analysis, developing insights and drafting deliverables, communicating with clients, and keeping Root Cause and client team members on track through effective coordination and project management. Associates are valued team members who own independent areas of work while also actively supporting the work of their colleagues. Through project work, associates increase their knowledge, and begin to develop expertise, in one or more of Root Cause’s services and/or social issue areas (i.e., education, health, and financial well-being). The small size of our firm and the fast-paced and entrepreneurial nature of our work also allow associates to set stretch goals and receive increasing responsibility, with the support and guidance of their supervisors.
Associates typically come to us with 1-2 years of work experience or may have had extensive work and/or volunteer experience during college.
What We Are Looking For
- 1-2 years of professional work experience (ideally a combination of business and non-profit settings) beyond completion of bachelor’s degree; 2018 graduates with extensive work and/or volunteer experience during college may also apply
- Demonstrated interest in the social sector and commitment to advancing equity and social justice
- Strong research, analytical, writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills - ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks with keen attention to detail
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience with multi-stakeholder communications
- Ability to take initiative and operate with autonomy; flexible and adaptable
- Strategic thinker and pragmatic doer (ability to understand overall questions and concepts of a client case and translate them to day-to-day work)
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), including experience using Excel for work plan development; data download, clean-up, and analysis; and/or financial modeling
- Experience with Salesforce, online survey tools (e.g., SurveyGizmo) and/or statistical analysis programs are a plus
- Prior experience in consulting or another type of professional services organization a plus
- Conduct primary and secondary research (interviews, surveys, focus groups, benchmarking, online searches and review of literature/reports) to understand market trends, data and evidence within a given field, best practices, and client positioning and value proposition
- Develop survey tools, interview guides, and other tools to frame research, gather data and conduct analyses
- With oversight, develop and finalize high-quality internal and external deliverables (in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Project management, including meeting planning and scheduling for multiple projects, synthesis of notes for sharing with clients, follow-up communications, and organization of key project documents
- Understand and help manage project work plans and timelines
- Participate in internal and external meetings; begin to facilitate parts of internal team meetings
- Participate in team discussions to frame key research questions, develop relevant insights, make concrete recommendations, and determine next steps
- Develop productive relationships with project team members and support the development of client relationships
- For select projects, review and analyze financial data to assess a client’s financial health and inform future strategy
- For select projects, download and clean up survey data, create spreadsheets and perform data analysis
- Support Root Cause sales/business development through market and prospect research, scope review and/or writing, and other assignments
- With oversight, take on internal assignments that help to advance Root Cause’s strategy, sales/marketing, organizational development, or operations
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume via: http://www.rootcause.org/advisory-services-associate-application