Partners for International Development - Executive Director
- Job posted by Partners for International Development
Details: Up to $10,000 USD in funding for overseas living and travel expenses and unlimited commission on grants.
The Executive Director position at PfID presents a rare opportunity for ground-floor impact in an organization poised for growth. Since its founding in 2013, PfID has focused on developing innovative, cost-effective, replicable projects addressing acute health and education needs in Kenya and Peru. Our pilot projects have won funding from D-Prize, MIT, the Learning Equality Foundation, and the Rotary Foundation. We are eager to accelerate our journey from project incubation to broad implementation and invite you to imagine yourself at the center of our growth as our Executive Director.
Location: At least five months per year in Kisumu, Kenya working with our local field team (5 full-time staff) and international interns (6-12 per year); remainder of year could be at location of your choosing with reliable internet and phone signal.
Time Commitment: We prefer candidates who are able to make a full-time commitment, but will consider applicants who wish to work part-time externally for supplementary income in the first 6 months in the role or when not in Kenya.
Position Type: Volunteer with up to $10,000 USD in funding for overseas living and travel expenses and unlimited commission on grants.
Financial Support: The Executive Director will receive a per diem of 2,000 KES (approximately $20 USD) per full work day in Kenya, plus an allowance for travel health insurance, out of pocket health expenses while in the field, international transportation, internet, phone, housing, and utilities. In some jurisdictions, these allowances may be non-taxable. The value of these allowances, based on a full-time presence in Kenya, is $10,000 per year. Additionally, PfID will pay the Executive Director a standard industry percentage from the overhead allocation on grants brought in by the Executive Director.
Partners for International Development (PfID) is a Canadian charity that incubates and tests creative strategies to improve health and education in Kenya and Peru. PfID’s projects are small and highly cost-effective. Our education programs for orphans in public schools have resulted in a 100% pass rate on grade 8 national exams since 2013, and our health infrastructure projects, two rural clinics now serving more than 25,000 patients per year, were constructed at half the cost of an average government contractor. We have been a volunteer-run organization focused on designing quality projects; with several high-performing projects in our portfolio, we are now looking to focus on replication and growth. To support its projects, PfID operates an internship program, Students for International Development (SID), that helps university students and young professionals from around the world contribute to its international work through three- to six-month, field-based internships.
We are hiring a full-time Executive Director, to be based primarily in Western Kenya, to provide leadership, source funding, and recruit high-quality international interns who will help our local field staff strengthen our projects. The Executive Director role is a rare opportunity to have tremendous impact through entrepreneurial leadership and creativity.
For more information on PfID and our projects, please visit our website, www.pfid.ca
Performance Profile for Executive Director
- Provide overall leadership in the growth of PfID projects and SID internships
- Share responsibility with the the Chief Financial Officer and the President for strategic leadership functions, including: budgeting, strategic planning, grant development, financial controls, and leadership of staff and volunteers
- Source support from foundations and other donors to expand projects
- Work with President to secure a significant grant for 1Room, PfID’s flagship alternative education project
- Recruit high-quality interns (typically between 10 - 15) by February for three-month summer placements starting in May and June
- Support interns through pre-departure process by overseeing online training program, hosting ne online information sessions, and setting up mentorship with staff and alumni
- Offer support to interns and staff in Western Kenya for 5+ months per year
- Support and strengthen partnerships with local and international collaborators who work with PfID
Who you will work with
Our team of full-time staff in Kisumu, Kenya is comprised of five university graduates in their mid to late 20s. You will also be working closely with PfID’s Founder and President, Michael Beeler, who is completing a PhD at MIT in operations research with a focus on Ed Tech for development.
Qualities of a strong applicant
- Natural proclivity for leadership and a desire to take on big challenges
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage a team, negotiate and perform in cross-cultural environments
- Organized and conscientious
- Eager and quick to learn new things across many domains
- High levels of resilience and adaptability
- Strong preference given to those who have previous experience living/working in a developing country
Preferred start date: October 15, 2018
Duration: Minimum two-year commitment; preference for long-term team members seeking a social impact career, who want to be part of a team that will lead the organization through a period of substantial growth.
Persons of any nationality may apply.
Applications considered on a rolling basis until filled.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply
(1) Please answer a couple simple application questions through our Google Forms Survey: https://goo.gl/forms/MoOxUriWTT4IXRq12
(2) Email your resume to email@example.com, with "Executive Director" as the subject.
The recruitment process may involve multiple stages, including interview questions and/or take-home questions that aim to simulate the demands of the job.
The role will be filled once a suitable candidate is identified. Please contact us right away if you are interested in the role.