Details: D.O.E., competitive
785 Market Street, 10th Floor
PRC’s mission is to help people affected by HIV/AIDS, substance use, or mental health issues better realize opportunities by providing integrated legal, social, and health services that address the broad range of social risk factors that impact wellness and limit potential.
Job Title: Staff Attorney- Equal Access to Healthcare Program
The Staff Attorney of the Equal Access to Healthcare Program provides legal representation and consultation to low-income clients with HIV and/or mental health issues to access public disability income, as well as healthcare benefits through Medi-Cal, Covered California, State Office of AIDS programs, Medicare, etc.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Assessment: Performs individual assessment of needs related to healthcare access and disability benefits. Helps identify and assist in breaking barriers to public benefits, including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)/Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medi-Cal, Medicare, private insurance through Covered California, AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP), etc. Works with clients using a Harm Reduction approach.
- Benefits Advocacy: Provides direct legal assistance and representation to clients. Helps clients apply for public benefits (SSI/SSDI, CAPI, etc.) and/or handles other healthcare access and benefits-related issues. Performs intakes and conducts outreach to engage and re-engage clients in the pursuit of disability benefits and/or healthcare access. Advocates for clients through the claims process, including negotiating with the Social Security Administration, Medi-Cal, Medicare, private insurance, Covered CA, Office of AIDS, and other programs/entities as required. Files appropriate paperwork and develops/obtains supporting evidence.
- Hearings: Prepares cases for appeal and appears before Administrative Law Judges or other judicial bodies. Files documents for appeals process. Develops/obtains supporting evidence. Performs legal research. Writes pre- and post-hearings legal briefs. Prepares clients for testimony. Represent clients at hearings. Cross-examines experts. Appeals unfavorable decisions.
- File Management: Creates and maintains confidential client files detailing documents and laws/policies reviewed, correspondences prepared on behalf of the client, and case progress. Updates and tracks case progress using case management databases.
- Training & Community Engagement: Conducts consumer and provider trainings/outreach on topics related to public disability benefits, healthcare access, health care reform, Medicare, Medi-Cal, Covered California, etc. Participates in community meetings and forums.
- Policy Analysis: Identifies and analyzes healthcare issues affecting people living with HIV/AIDS and other vulnerable populations at the local, state and federal levels. Produces and presents reports.
- Special Projects: Assists with special projects as necessary.
· Active member of the California State Bar required.
- Two (2) years of public benefits or healthcare advocacy experience strongly preferred.
- Strong ability in maintaining computer databases on a regular basis with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits (SSI, SSDI, and private long-term disability insurance) preferred.
· Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community essential.
- Ability to work effectively with service providers.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
· Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits: This is a Full-time exempt position. PRC offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, short/long-term disability for full-time employees and their eligible spouse/DP/children. PRC also offers employer matching contributions to 403(b) plan, Bar dues, professional development, vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to email listed in job post to: PRC, Attn. Chuan Teng, 785 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. Please include Job Code: “IDEAHP” in the subject line of your email, when applying.