Officer, Events (Special/ Educational)
- Job posted by The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest global funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded over $750 million in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide.
Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various therapeutic strategies and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. In order to achieve our mission of finding a cure for PD it is critical that we engage with, and bring together, members of the PD community including researchers, physicians, health professionals and most important, people with Parkinson's and their families. We believe that raising the Foundation’s profile with a broader audience will help us more efficiently reach and mobilize highly engaged stakeholders who are more likely to feel personally vested in helping speed progress toward a cure.
We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately have no endowment. We instead start our fundraising from zero each year and seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $90 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 135 full-time employees who are based in New York City. This is an onsite position and is not conducive to telecommuting.
The Officer, Events will report directly to the Director of Special Events. This position manages and supports the Foundation’s educational events including The Public Policy Forum, Research Roundtables, Patient Council, Stewardship events as well as Special events including Golf and Gala. Candidate must be a self-starter with a proven record of event management. Key qualities of an outstanding Events Officer include excellent organizational skills, problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills, a positive disposition and solid judgment. The Events Officer must also possess sound time management skills as well as an innate sense of curiosity, pace and urgency. Equally important is the ability to work productively and proactively, both independently and within a team environment.
· Work with event team to plan and execute special events including but not limited to Annual Gala and Golf Outing.
· Work with external vendors for event execution, design, catering and all aspects of event execution (caterer, florist, production company, etc)
· Help to track and maintain the key budget aspects of the program across all deliverables
· Unflappable under pressure
· Work with event team to ensure proper coverage at events including leadership
· Work Foundation wide with multiple teams to plan and execute Policy Forum in D.C.
· Work across departments to plan and execute two Research Roundtables in NYC
· Logistic planning for Patient Council meetings twice a year
· Work with Advancement and the Events Director to assist on Stewardship events where needed
• Bachelor’s Degree + 1-2 years’ of relevant experience
• Familiarity with Salesforce CRM software or equivalent software is a plus
• Experience in project management
• Proficient in Excel and MS Office Suite
• Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Work outside of business hours required
• Travel 10-15% required
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Please click on this link to apply. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required