4500 Biscayne Boulevard
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) develops and implements strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors throughout Florida capable of making a major gift ($100k over three years). He/she conducts initial exploratory meetings with donors and prospects to determine capacity and interest for major giving, builds a portfolio of major donors, and manages their relationship with Earthjustice accordingly with a minimum fundraising goal of $1 million per year.
The MGO understands and applies complex principles of developing donor strategies. He/she will be responsible for direct asks for Earthjustice’s priorities to meet funding needs. He/she can discuss assets and listen for opportunities for gifts of assets or other non-cash gifts, and can confidentially discuss planned giving opportunities. The MGO will build constructive and effective relationships, involve and engage appropriate partners in Development, the field and at the Headquarters, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues and/or concerns, and address questions as needed. He/she is capable of featuring the organizational priorities in detailed terms, understands project budgets and may build proposals utilizing this knowledge. He/she will be required to use Earthjustice’s donor database and may develop proposals.
This position is based in our Miami office.
- Manage an active portfolio of 60-80 donors; develop strategies and implement plans for qualifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting those donors.
- Build relationships with donors and prospects via phone calls, personal visits, ongoing written contact, and events; Responsible for 100-150 visits and 180-240 moves annually.
- Achieve minimum annual fundraising goal of $1 million, along with goals for bequest intentions.
- Travel regularly for donor visits, events, field trips, and trainings.
- Provide program information to donors and prospects and draft personalized correspondence and acknowledgments that demonstrate appreciation, recognition, and engagement of donors.
- Build and maintain a strong working knowledge of Earthjustice’s work in order to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about the work.
- Contribute to the creation of the budget, collateral materials, research profiles, and lists for targeted mailings and events.
- Support planning and execution of donor events and field trips.
- Use donor databases to keep donor records up to date, track progress, and plan.
- Pursue opportunities for professional growth.
- Promote a culture of philanthropy, and foster a respectful and productive working environment.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ related work experience or equivalent.
- Experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Experience soliciting and closing $100k gifts from individuals.
- Ability to absorb and synthesize complex program information and translate into a compelling case for donors.
- Well-developed written and oral communication, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of current trends in charitable giving, particularly in the areas of major gifts and planned giving.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and some experience with donor databases.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement fundraising initiatives including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Aptitude to determine an individual’s interest, capacity, and inclination to help Earthjustice meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with Earthjustice’s work.
- Ability to accurately assess situations with informal or incomplete information and make good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment; maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to skillfully prioritize and manage a portfolio and juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working independently and as a team member with initiative and flexibility.
- Sense of humor is desired.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to email@example.com