RENEW Wisconsin (RENEW) is Wisconsin’s leading nonprofit renewable energy education and advocacy organization. RENEW supports all forms of renewable energy, such as solar, wind, renewable fuels, local hydropower, building electrification, electric vehicles, and other emerging clean energy and energy conservation technologies. We strive to remain non-partisan, focusing on the issues impacting renewable energy. We work closely with renewable energy industry members, trade associations, the legislature, nonprofits, utilities, and government agencies to lead and accelerate the transformation to Wisconsin’s clean energy future through advocacy, education, and collaboration. Our vision is to have clean, renewable energy powering a strong, healthy, and vibrant Wisconsin.
RENEW seeks a staff attorney to join our nonprofit team and provide in-house legal services. RENEW’s office is in downtown Madison, a few blocks from the State Capitol. Our organization is flexible with a hybrid in-office/work-from-home environment and promotes work-life balance. RENEW offers its full- time employees a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
Representation before the PSC
• Lead communications with other utility, party, and PSC staff legal representatives; • Review, edit, and timely file RENEW’s expert witness testimony and exhibits; • Prepare and file briefs and other legal documents defending RENEW’s policy positions; • Prepare RENEW witnesses for cross-examination, and cross-examine other party witnesses; • Coordinate with RENEW’s outside legal counsel on special projects; and
• Represent RENEW before other state agencies or appellate courts as needed.
Legal and Legislative Research
• Provide research on the legislative history of Wisconsin utility regulations;
• Reference, cite, and interpret pertinent state statutes and administrative codes; • Develop executive briefs and policy papers providing legal opinions;
• Provide impact analyses on proposed legislation; and,
• Provide public presentations on utility laws and regulations.
• Provide a legal review of organizational documents and contracts.
Desired Skills and Experience
• A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin, or an expectation to obtain a Wisconsin law license within six months of employment.
• Ability to work well in a policy advocacy role; have a strong knowledge of basic legal principles, constitutional law, and federal, state, and local government organization and functions. • Experience in interpreting and advising on Wisconsin statutory and administrative code, and significant knowledge and experience in utility or similar industry law.
• Experience with energy industry issues (utility, trade org, ISO, agency, etc.) and working knowledge of clean, renewable energy technologies and transmission.
• Be able to work well in a time-sensitive manner.
• Strong interest in working in utility law and regulation.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable in public speaking roles. • Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
RENEW Wisconsin (RENEW) is Wisconsin’s leading nonprofit renewable energy education and advocacy organization. RENEW supports all forms of renewable energy, such as solar, wind, renewable fuels, local hydropower, building electrification…
English - Proficient
English - Proficient
To apply for this position, please submit:
You must submit all three items in order to be considered for this position.
Please submit all materials via email to Sam Dunaiski, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 26th, 2023.