Details: Compensation is competitive with national industry averages and dependent on experience.
ABOUT FAIR FOOD NETWORK
Fair Food Network is founded on the belief that vibrant local food systems can create health and economic opportunity for all. A national nonprofit, we work with a diverse network of partners and pioneer solutions that support farmers, strengthen local economies, and increase access to healthy food—especially in our most underserved communities. Central to our work is designing programs that create on-the-ground impact and serve as replicable models that move the field forward and inform public policy.
Our signature program Double Up Food Bucks helps low-income Americans bring home more healthy food while supporting family farmers and growing local economies. What started as a small Michigan pilot in 2009 is now a national model for SNAP incentives active in more than 20 states. We also have two food impact investing projects, which provide financing and business assistance to good food entrepreneurs that are building vibrant, local food systems.
ABOUT THE ROLE - DIGITAL STRATEGIST
Fair Food Network is seeking a Digital Strategist to drive strategy, implementation, and innovation of Fair Food Network’s digital marketing efforts. We are looking for someone who will blend proven marketing principles with leading-edge insights to grow awareness and drive engagement.
With passion, creativity, and savvy, this position will manage the digital assets of three brands including Fair Food Network, Double Up Food Bucks healthy food incentive programs, and the Michigan Good Food Fund, in which Fair Food Network is a core partner. This includes websites, social media platforms, online marketing, and content development and delivery across various digital channels.
The position will report to Fair Food Network’s Director of Communications, Emilie Engelhard, and often partner with Kari Paine, who leads design work and program marketing. The role can either be based in Fair Food Network’s Ann Arbor or Detroit office.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Drive online engagement for Fair Food Network, Double Up Food Bucks, and Michigan Good Food Fund including digital strategy for websites, social media, online advertising, and email marketing.
- Develop and implement dynamic digital campaigns that connect with different audiences in alignment with programmatic and organization objectives. This includes campaigns for Double Up Food Bucks that raise program awareness among low-income populations in urban and rural geographies.
- Manage a master editorial calendar, producing content optimized for different digital channels.
- Lead email campaigns from start to finish including strategy, copy, distribution, and analysis.
- Utilize and refine analytic systems to generate actionable insights while driving progress against channel specific goals.
- Oversee search engine marketing and Google AdWords campaigns from strategy to implementation.
- Manage content updates and website maintenance ensuring user-friendly and on-trend digital experiences for fairfoodnetwork.org, doubleupfoodbucks.org, and migoodfoodfund.org.
- Assist with additional content development and storytelling for email updates, reports, case studies, blogs, stories, annual reports, etc.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Compelling Communicator — You are an exceptional communicator who thrives on the challenge of distilling complex ideas into digestible and engaging messages that move.
- Strategic Storyteller — You start with your audience in mind and tap into the vernacular and medium that meets people where they are.
- Analytical – You like digging into the details, monitoring traction and anchoring your creativity in what the data shows.
- Curious Self-Motivator – You are proactive and always up-to-date on the latest digital marketing trends.
- Adaptable Teammate — You enjoy being part of a fast-paced, collaborative team. You adapt to changing priorities and juggle multiple assignments with ease.
- Quality Focused — You get a real sense of satisfaction from producing high-quality, polished work. You pay attention to the details without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Mission-driven — You are inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission and want to contribute your professional skills to advance our work.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3+ years relevant professional experience.
- Functional Expertise — Solid proficiency backed by hands-on experience with various CMS, social analytics, and email marketing services. (For example: WordPress, Campaign Monitor, Google Analytics, Simply Measured, native platforms). Graphic design skills a plus.
- Project Management — Savvy project management including the ability to work independently and proactively as well as collaboratively across the organization.
- Commitment to Inclusion — An understanding of structural inequalities based on gender, race, and ethnicities. You also bring experienced perspectives with the communities we serve to inform our voice and work.
Fair Food Network’s hiring process for this role is rigorous and may be different from other hiring practices you have encountered before. We practice “blind recruitment” as part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in order to overcome unconscious biases that emerge through traditional résumé reviews. We focus on each candidate’s demonstrated fit to preclude unconscious biases that emerge from knowledge of a candidate’s educational background, ethnicity, gender, or other attributes from influencing initial screening. In practice, this means:
- We will only ask for your résumé during the referencing phase at the end of the hiring process
- We will not ask for a traditional cover letter
- We will only ask for relevant, de-identified work experience during the application process
- We will de-identify your name during the application review process
We evaluate candidates primarily through written exercises and trial project. This serves a dual purpose of providing candidates a taste our work and our recruitment team insight into whether a candidate possesses the skills and competencies that are a prerequisite to success in our firm.
Our hiring process includes these steps:
- Written application for initial screening
- 30-minute phone interview assess fit and answer candidate’s questions
- 4-hour trial project to be completed on your own timeline
- Half-day in-person interview with additional members of Fair Food Network staff including a member of our executive team
- Reference checks (résumé submitted for the first time)
- Offer issued
We are committed to transparency throughout this process. We understand interviewing can be stressful and aim to minimize that stress and uncertainty. To give you a sense of timing, steps two through six above typically take four to six weeks.
FFN offers a generous benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the very simple form here: https://rework.applytojob.com/apply/Q43cra0KIu/Digital-Strategist?source=FFN
Candidates are able to display interest on an ongoing basis but please do so by Midnight EST on Sunday, June 3rd at the latest. ALL candidates will be invited to complete a set of short answer questions shortly after completing the form.
We are currently seeking candidates for our Ann Arbor or Detroit offices.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at email@example.com. We look forward to getting to know you!