Museum Exhibit Technician/ Assistant - Full-time or Part-time
- Job posted by National Museum of Mathematics
11 East 26th Street
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open positions at www.momath.org
MoMath is seeking an experienced Exhibit Technician or Exhibit Assistant with a talent for mechanical and electronic maintenance, diagnostics, and troubleshooting to maintain the Museum's various exhibits and facility in good working order. Many of the exhibits are highly complex interactives with integrated hardware, firmware, and software.
This opportunity can be either a part-time position or a full-time permanent position. The part-time position would work on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. The full-time position, which offers a full suite of benefits, would work on a Tuesday-Saturday schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolving routine physical and electronic problems in the Museum's exhibits
- Making repairs or performing needed maintenance to the Museum's facility
- Assisting MoMath senior and technical staff to improve exhibits and make daily progress on outstanding exhibit and/or facility issues
- Transporting MoMath traveling exhibits to external locations (by minivan), and installing and troubleshooting them
- Monitoring exhibit and facility status daily, and logging and reviewing issues in MoMath's tracking system
- Operating a laser cutter for various Museum fabrication needs (previous laser cutter experience is not a requirement)
- Sourcing and purchasing materials and equipment
- Maintaining exhibit maintenance repair and storage facilities in good order
- Communicating with fabricators and other partners and vendors as needed to speed resolution of outstanding issues
- Experience with diagnosing and resolving mechanical and electronic issues
- Experience building, repairing, refinishing, and being generally handy
- Competency with carpentry, finishing, and power tools
- A valid driver's license and a clean driving record are required.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Systems administration experience, though not a requirement, would be useful.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email the following materials to email@example.com with a subject line that includes “Exhibit Technician/ Assistant” and your name:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet these requirements
- A current résumé, including grade point averages
- A 150- to 500-word statement concerning your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics