CAI, a training, technical assistance and research-to-practice nonprofit organization is seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented and organized individual for the full-time position of ATFC (Advancing Tobacco-Free Communities) Community Engagement Program Manager based in Buffalo, NY. The Advancing Tobacco-Free Communities (ATFC) grant, awarded by the New York State Department of Health Bureau of Tobacco Control, is to support the reduction and prevention of tobacco use in both Erie and Niagara counties. ATFC will engage and educate community leaders and members, leverage resources, and mobilize organizations to advance local tobacco control efforts in both Erie and Niagara counties that will:
· Reduce the impact of retail tobacco marketing on youth and adults, especially those disparately-affected populations.
· Increase opportunities for tobacco-free outdoor areas.
· Reduce secondhand smoke exposure in multi-unit housing.
· Advance tobacco-free norms, through promising/emerging tobacco control initiatives, with Health Department approval.
The ATFC Community Engagement Program Manager will be responsible for convening (2) ATFC coalitions in both Erie & Niagara counties comprised of key stakeholders to foster environments supportive of policies that reinforce the tobacco-free norm in communities throughout New York State (NYS). This approach to chronic disease prevention utilizes a community- based strategy which includes building community awareness, community education, community mobilization, government policy maker education, and advocacy with organizational decision makers to create local environments that are receptive to or demand policy change. This individual must be able to work collaboratively with the Reality Check, Program Manager to advance local and statewide tobacco control action.
Program Planning and Development:
· Maintains professional level of knowledge and understanding of tobacco-related issues and of tobacco control interventions as well as the NYS prevention agenda;
· Contributes to team development of work plan strategies and activities;
· Works collaboratively with other programs and colleagues to leverage resources;
· Attends required Bureau of Tobacco Control trainings and applies skills to program planning;
· Participates in regional and statewide planning meetings and conference calls;
· Assists in the development of community education/awareness materials and campaigns that promote and support ATFC initiatives;
· Develops and maintains strong collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders (local, county-wide, and state-wide) and community partners for involvement in tobacco control initiatives, including the media;
· Oversees the details of each phase of the program;
· Ensures use of accurate demographic, scientific, statistical and programmatic information related to tobacco control
· Coordinates and facilitates resources for community action team meetings (may include but are not limited to providing meeting accommodations and notices, logistical assistance, training opportunities, health communication resources, budget support, and other assistance as may be needed by the community action teams);
· Provides and coordinates training and technical assistance to the community action teams and local partners;
· Assures that the community action team members are provided opportunities to develop or enhance specific experience and expertise in effective tobacco control interventions, through participation in training workshops, conference calls, and evaluation activities;
· Mobilizes community organizations to develop and implement community interventions and system and organizational level changes;
· Develops media messages (press kits, fact sheets, and other materials tailored to local tobacco needs) for professional and lay audiences based on cultural, social and behavioral factors in the delivery of tobacco control information
Program Operations and Implementation;
· Plans, coordinates, and conducts on-site educational and training activities and provides technical assistance on various tobacco control related topics;
· Provides education to designated local stakeholders, city council members, and state legislators;
· Communicates program goals and success to professionals, decision makers, community leaders, contractors, and media
· Monitors the grant budget, including the rate of expenditures and compliance with budgeting requirement;
· Ensures records of all program activities are documented in accordance with program procedures and are available to support ongoing program monitoring;
· Prepares regular reports on the progress and outcomes of community mobilization efforts;
· Completes portions of the monthly progress reports submitted to NYS DOH regarding Reality Check activities.
Recruits, develops, and maintains a diverse community action team membership mirroring the community's population;
MINIMUM EDUCATION, CREDENTIALS, QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
· Knowledge and skill in interpreting and communicating data, public health policy, and media advocacy is required;
· Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as public speaking experience;
· The ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision is a must;
· Strong computer skills are required, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint.
· Must have a valid New York State driver’s license and vehicle or provide evidence of mobility within assigned community;
· The ability to attend required meetings and trainings as directed by NYS DOH is required;
· Local travel and overnight stays to maximize travel opportunities may be required; and
· Position may require occasional lifting of materials/equipment weighing approximately 25 pounds.
Education & Experience:
· Ideal candidates will have a Master’s degree in health and human services, community health, or other related field with at least five years’ experience in program outreach, community organizing, and/or program development and implementation; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
· Knowledge of tobacco control trends and strategies that target children, youth and adults, including advertising, policies and standards, and promising or best practices;
· Candidates must have knowledge of community health, public health, and the regional health care delivery system.
· Ability to provide technical assistance to various organizations in planning and managing community-based programs;
· Technical skills and proficiency in computer applications for research and education resources;
· Skill in developing and delivering oral presentations;
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
· Ability to coordinate training events and workshops for adults and youth;
· Ability to analyze budgets and expenditure data;
· Ability to formulate and implement policies and procedures;
· Ability to show cultural competence in working with diverse populations;
· Willing to be a team player and work collaboratively with community action teams and community agencies;
· Ability to be organized, proactive, work independently and be a self-starter;
· Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with various deadlines and tasks
Full-Time; Monday through Friday; Candidates must have the ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate to implement community education events.
Notes: This is a grant-funded position. The anticipated contract period for the program will be July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2024.
CAI, a training, technical assistance and research-to-practice nonprofit organization is seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented and organized individual for the full-time position of ATFC (Advancing Tobacco-Free Communities…
CAI offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits and working conditions. For immediate consideration: EMAIL, FAX or MAIL your cover letter, resume and salary range requirements to our Human Resources Department, attention: “AFTC Community Engagement Program Manager” Search.
Mail: CAI Human Resources Department
505 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1900, New York, NY 10018
CAI offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits and working conditions. For immediate consideration: EMAIL, FAX or MAIL your cover letter, resume and salary range…