Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI will be working with its local partners and networks to create a conducive environment for the next steps of the political transition. To do so, DRI, in close cooperation with its local partners, will raise awareness among citizens (online and offline) on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitate exchange between citizens and relevant political and institutional actors (such as representatives of the National Election Commission, the Constitution Drafting Assembly and others).
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 15 August 2018
Duration: Until December 2019, with the possibility of extension
Location: Tunis, Tunisia (with potential travels to Libya if the security situation allows)
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Policy Officer for its Libya country office in Tunis, Tunisia. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Project Directoryou will co-lead on the project implementation with a particular focus on governance research, MEL and reporting.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Project Director and in close coordination with the other team members:
- Co-design project activities, such as events, workshops, trainings, research studies and publications;
- Lead on the implementation of research studies and publications;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools, collect and analyse relevant data and compile monitoring reports;
- Ensure gender-mainstreaming in the implementation of all project activities and project monitoring;
- Develop key messages on elections and constitution for social media and outreach activities, in close coordination with the respective national experts, the Civil Society Advisor and the Project Director;
- Lead on the selection of and coordination with national experts who are recruited for the drafting of publications, the implementation of the social media monitoring, the online campaign and the media trainings;
- Draft monthly reports of the social media monitoring based on the work provided by the Social Media Data Analyst and data coders;
- Monitor the political transition, particularly elections and the constitution, and regularly update the Libya team and HQ about relevant developments;
- Contribute to the writing and proof-editing of donor reports;
- Support the development and implementation of the project’s communication strategy;
- Support the development, design and layout of communication materials and ensure a gender-sensitive communication;
- Report on all relevant project activities within 48 hours in form of news stories/blog entries for DRI’s website;
- Develop, maintain and update the distribution lists;
- Any other activities, as agreed with the Project Director and DRI HQ.
Qualifications we require:
- A University Degree in law, political or social science or another relevant field;
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in applied research and policy work;
- At least two years of experience of working as part of a project team, ideally within an NGO/think tank;
- Sound knowledge of the Libyan political situation and its main actors;
- Strong writing and reporting skills in English language (writing samples to be provided);
- Proven experience in developing communication material on policy or programmatic issues;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- The ability to travel inside Libya is a strong asset;
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both spoken and written is required;
- Good negotiation skills and the ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Policy Officer (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 7 August 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10
DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and Arabic, both spoken and written is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your application (cover letter and CV) in one PDF document to email@example.com. Please include “Policy Officer (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.