Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Brooklyn)
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Criminal Defense Practice has two openings for a full-time Paralegal II to provide client services in the Brooklyn County office.
* Research, digest, and outline case records (e.g. medical, criminal history, schools, etc.)
* Draft legal memoranda, pre-trial motions, subpoenas, and orders to produce
* Interview and assess client requests for services
* Second-seat trials
* Assist with case preparation for trial and disposition
* Prepare written reports summarizing compiled information
* Obtain and copy court files
* Serve subpoenas and other legal documents
* Assemble court files and materials for trials, appeals, stays, and writs
* Obtain and review client records and determine course of action
* Handle client and agency correspondence in connection with cases
* Serve as a liaison between attorneys and clients
* Assist clients in completing forms, releases, and other documents
* Refer clients to outside agencies
* Handle basic correspondence with clients
* Other duties as assigned
* Perform functions of Paralegal I title, unrelated to the Paralegal II title, as necessary and on a temporary basis
Brooklyn - Criminal Defense Practice Office
* Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited school, Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, or satisfactory completion of a comprehensive in-house training course appropriate to practice area
* Experience in and/or commitment to advocacy on behalf of low-income people is strongly desired
* Excellent writing, verbal, and organizational skills
* Proficiency in legal research
* Proficiency in computer and word processing skills
* Ability to work independently and in a team setting
* Ability to multi-task
* Some knowledge of New York criminal law and criminal procedures
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com opens an email client application.
Minimum Education Required