The Cloud Forest School is a bilingual, progressive PreK–11th grade private school located in rural Monteverde, Costa Rica. Our educational and institutional philosophy is founded in sustainability and economic justice. Ninety-five percent (95%) of our 200 students are Costa Rican, 5% are international students (generally from the US and Canada), and more than 70% of our local students receive deeply discounted tuition. Our staff of 42 is made up of half Costa Rican and half international professionals deeply dedicated to progressive, bi-lingual education.
The Cloud Forest School is proud to hire experienced, certified teachers from around the world. Our school year runs from early-August to mid June, with the option of working during summer programs in June and July. Our English-speaking teachers work in partnership with a Spanish-speaking Costa Rican teachers, so that our students are exposed to and develop skills in both English and Spanish. The start date for this position is July 23rd, 2018.
- Teaching Kinder students in English for ½ the day and spending afternoons doing specials with Elementary students.
- Positively collaborate with the partner Kinder teacher who teaches solely in Spanish.
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, and challenging learning environment.
- Develop lesson plans that support language learning (ongoing professional development will be given in this area).
- Identify, select, and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Evaluate students' progress on a continuous basis.
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management, using positive discipline strategies.
- Involve families in the education process.
- Ensure that student growth is achieved.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Director and all CEC faculty.
- Set and monitor short, medium, and long term goals in all areas of responsibility.
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures.
- Prepare individual student achievement reports for parents.
Professional Community Commitments:
- Collaborate with other staff members to create meaningful community learning opportunities and community-based partnerships.
- Work effectively with parents, interns, and other volunteers.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and applicable professional development programming, along with school-based committees.
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community members.
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, and coordinating with school faculty.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A certified teacher with 2+ years experience (not exclusively TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, etc.)
- Native English Speaker with Basic Spanish Knowledge
- Experienced in progressive education
- Willing to make a multi-year commitment
- A team player, willing to collaborate across grade levels and disciplines
- Willing and eager to grow as a person and a professional
- Positive and adventurous
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Local Salary
- Enrollment in the National Health Insurance System (CAJA)
- Work Visa Sponsored
- Costa Rican Bonus (Aguinaldo)
- Heavily Reduced Tuition for Children
National Health Insurance, pension, heavy tuition discount, bonus, beautiful location/environment
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Contact email@example.com for more information about applying.
Submit an online application, along with your CV and a cover letter at: http://cloudforestschool.org/?page_id=43