216 West 135th Street
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit serving high-needs New York City public schools. Working with Pre-K-12th grades, BtB identifies books that speak to urban youth, then partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units that bring the authors into the classroom. Through a series of workshops, they discuss their work and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers, and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own writing and artwork.
BtB seeks an experienced Art Teacher or Teaching Artist to manage all aspects of art programming from conception through completion. The TA will conduct art programming, and work with the art team and program coordinators.
- Help maintain materials for all art programs
- Conduct programs in Pre-K-12th-grade classrooms
- Read the anchor texts for each program
- Confer with program coordinators on appropriate art projects
- Confer with book coordinator on technical requirements for student book projects
- Create lesson plans and PowerPoint presentations
- Help maintain physical and digital files of lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, samples, and resources
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in art education
- At least 2 years teaching art in an urban setting
- Creative and organized
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Passion for literacy, reading and books
- Fluent in Spanish (desired)
Flexible hours, dependent on program schedule and weekly team meeting.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume summarizing qualifications and experience to info@BehindtheBook.org.
Behind the Book is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
Level of Language Proficiency
English. Spanish desired.
Minimum Education Required