Details: Negotiable based on experience
7 Grand Street
Join the fight for social, economic and racial justice!
Citizen Action of New York Hudson Valley Chapter
Citizen Action of New York is a grassroots, statewide membership organization that fights for social, racial and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us. Our organizing campaigns focus on issues such as ending the school to prison pipeline, health care for all, progressive taxation, housing and climate justice, voting rights and getting big money out of politics. We work to build strong local chapters and involve people in the work of creating a just society at the local, state and federal level.
TRAINER & LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Citizen Action of New York and it’s sister organization the Public Policy and Education Fund of New Yorkseek a energetic, experienced educator and trainer for our Hudson Valley office.
The Trainer & Leadership Development Specialist reports directly to the Hudson Valley Lead Organizer and is primarily responsible for implementing political, skills and racial justice trainings, train and develop potential volunteers and grassroots leaders and work closely with other staff and leaders to build a strong, powerful chapter of directly impacted individuals fighting for social change.
Strong candidates will have a natural disposition to engage people in conversation and build relationships. They will have a proven ability to (1) effectively execute core community organizing skills including running phone banks, community canvasses, 1-1 organizing and committee development (2) recruit, prepare and lead small and large group trainings using organizational curriculum (3) engage and support potential and existing volunteers to develop their leadership skills and abilities (4) build community and coalition relations.
One on one Leadership Development:
- Assist in recruiting new potential volunteers;
- Set up and conduct 1:1 meetings with potential and current volunteers and member leaders to identify ways to better support their participation and to encourage them to step up into leadership
- Provide 1:1 coaching to leaders to engage in the fight for social, economic and racial justice, including how to recruit other leaders from their own networks
- Track 1:1 leadership development skills and opportunities of Hudson Valley leaders
- Experience and expertise in facilitating trainings and training trainers
- Develop and facilitate trainings that build capacity and a sense of community among current leaders in the work
- Research new and best practices and seek professional development opportunities to create stronger trainings and improve leadership development across the organization
- Help leaders identify, prepare, and share their personal stories through through earned and social media outlets and to policy and decision makers
- Cultivate relationships with other organizations throughout our existing coalitions
- Help create and execute statewide staff meetings and annual conferences
- Recruit for and attend statewide and/or national meetings and conferences
- Provide support on special projects as needed
- Belief in the fight for social, racial, economic and environmental justice using both and inside-outside strategy of community organizing, coalition building and creating governing power for low to moderate income New Yorkers
- Strong commitment and understanding of racial justice
- 3-5 Years experience in community organizing, community-led initiatives and/or campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 1-3 years experience executing effective trainings and curriculum development
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills
- Ability to inspire and motivate people from diverse backgrounds
- Proven to work well with diverse communities
- Pays attention to detail and works well under pressure of deadlines and accountability systems
- Computer skills including use of VAN (Voter Access Network) & Google Docs
- Ability to travel, including having a reliable car
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Social media skills are desirable
- Spanish language skills are strongly desired but not required
The salary range is $45,000 to $50,000 depending on experience and qualifications, and includes full medical benefits, sick leave, vacation, and 401K plan.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Bi-Lingual candidates a plus.
Minimum Education Required