Role & Responsibilities
Enable operational effectiveness in Medair operations. Core member of the Logistics & Procurement Department particularly field-focused to support, inform and capacity build field staff in close collaboration with the GSO Procurement Team colleagues, as well as across the organisation, to enable necessary Logistics advice and support is provided to all country programmes and Global-ERT.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland. Travel for 16 weeks per year.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Effective Operational Support to Field Country Programmes
- Support, through guidance, advice and direction, Medair’s existing and emerging Logistics operations, including build technical expertise and ways of working to address poor practice and scale up and / or replicate good practice.
- Develop and maintain a technical approach strategy for Logistics operations, in collaboration with others, including an agreed team purpose, outcome, ways of working and process for gathering evidence, and dissemination, of good practice.
- Enable Medair to become more effective at Logistics operations.
- Monitor and disseminate learning from external practice.
- Be the reference point for setup and implement logistics country strategies and recruitment of senior logistics staff in collaboration with Logistics Managers and Programme.
- Maintain and strengthen regular communication and exchange of information between Logistics Operation Team and Field Logistics Managers and Focal Points.
Technical Logistics Advice & Training
- Capacity build colleagues (and partners) with technical advice including mentoring, accompaniment, induction and briefing.
- Relational mentoring of a network of colleagues to build a community supporting logistics operations to jointly capture case studies of good practice and learning from where we have not succeeded & build and share evidence, learning and practice on logistics between countries / regions.
- Participate in and share learning with other relevant communities of practice.
- Contribute to and validate the logistics component of proposals, budgets and project reports.
- Carry out field visits and assess adherence to logistics procedures, identify possible areas for improvement, develop and implement changed and new procedures where needed.
- Develop, organise and give training to logistics staff both at GSO and in the field.
- Develop training plans with all staff for essential logistics knowledge as well as specifically with logistics-focused staff which will include promoting external training e.g. Disaster Ready and Logs Cluster / WFP but also developing internal training / self-learning course material.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with Medair policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws.
- Be available for immediate deployment to Medair emergency response to new or existing country programme (part of wave 1 and / or wave 2) and on the roster for 24/7 logistics support.
- Cover for senior management logistics support position in slow onset emergencies response as required.
- Advise and leverage the technical innovative aspects of Medair projects.
- Learn continuously and have fail forward approach.
- Maintain a corporate overview of technical practice across the country programme teams in order to communicate good practice internally and externally including from and through external networks, NGOs, Academics, Missions, Donors and Alliances.
- Represent Medair in appropriate external networks and forums as agreed by the Logistics Operation TL.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree. Masters degree in humanitarian SCM field desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written) and working knowledge of French.
- Ability to work in Spanish / Portuguese or Arabic.
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years professional experience with at least 3 years working on humanitarian operational logistics programming. Proven experience in emergency response deployments as a Logistics Manager.
- Experience in project design and monitoring; and evaluation of humanitarian projects.
- Experience of designing and implementing logistics related projects.
- Experience in designing and conducting market assessments.
- Proven team management in humanitarian sector.
- Successful experience of project cycle management, especially in fragile States.
- Experience of living in an insecure environment.
- Experience in designing accountability and beneficiary feedback systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian and donor standards related to logistics.