700 Professional Drive
The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Director, Bequests (Northeast and New York City) for the Planned Giving department. This position is responsible for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of present supporters and new donor prospects who are interested in including HSUS in their wills, trusts, or other long range financial and estate plans. Donor communication will be by phone, mail, email along with a designated number of donor visits. Responsible for achieving set fundraising targets which complement the overall goals of the planned giving department.
This position will be responsible for:
- Generating 150 bequest commitments annually from new bequest prospects with formalized cultivation and solicitation plans from the planned giving marketing campaigns;
- Successfully soliciting $8 million in signed Letters of Intent commitments annually from supporters in assigned area;
- Stewarding 100- 150 Humane Legacy supporters with gift commitments ranging from $50,000 to $1,000,000 along with meeting with bequest prospects and Humane Legacy members in the designated region;
- Organizing two regional events annually showcasing the Humane Society of the United States programs to present to supporters and prospects;
- Staying abreast of the Humane Society of the United States campaigns and program initiatives relaying important updates to interested Humane Legacy members;
- Escalating complex bequest requests such as Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRT), Charitable Lead Trusts (CLT), Real Estate gifts and $1,000,000 bequest intents to the Vice President, Planned Gifts and Estates;
- Generating $25,000 in outright annual donations from the assigned portfolio;
- Creating and soliciting charitable gift annuities using the moves management/CRM database systems;
- Internally contacting and collaborating daily with members of the philanthropy team as well as interacting regularly with other departments;
- Contacting daily with HSUS planned giving prospects, donors and financial advisors.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required;
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in an estate law profession, financial services background, major gift/planned giving fundraising or directing a nonprofit estate planning program;
- Attention to detail and an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Excellent writing and organizational skills;
- Experience in a public speaking role preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, under pressure and on deadline;
- Knowledge of moves management/CRM database systems or other relational database systems;
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to travel;
- Knowledge of and commitment to animal protection preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This is a remote position.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Minimum Education Required