460 West 41 Street
Covenant House New York is a premier provider of Emergency, Transitional, Supportive and Permanent Housing and Healthcare services for New York's young adult homeless population.
This position offers a highly rewarding experience for nursing professionals who welcome the opportunity to build strong relationships with at- risk and homeless young adults within their communities. It's an exciting opportunity to be a part of multidisciplinary team of professionals at an innovative agency serving the needs of some of the most vulnerable young people in New York City.
As a member of Covenant House New York's Health Center team, the Registered Nurse works closely with the Clinical Providers providing clinical, anticipatory guidance and health-related education to young adults, children and families, and helps coordinate care for patients living with medical complexity, disabilities or serious emotional or psychiatric disturbances. The Registered Nurse provides these services during visits in our FQHC Article 28 health center in Midtown Manhattan and once a week to the young adults residing in our congregate housing settings in the Bronx. Care is delivered in collaboration with Covenant House New York's outstanding teams of social workers, education specialists, physicians, nurse practitioners, and other staff.
In addition, the Registered Nurse supervises the Medical Assistants and the Medical Reception team.
Duties and responsibilities
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Obtain and document vital signs; perform venipuncture and collect specimens for various labs; perform vision and hearing screening; administer immunizations as ordered by MD/PNP. Assess and triage young adults presenting with complaints of illness.
- Lead daily morning huddle to discuss high patient needs, staffing, provider workflow.
- Supervise workflow for Medical Assistants and assist during high volume hours.
- Reports all illness and/or accidents, and hospitalization as required by the regulatory agency.
- Contact medical providers, hospital clinics and laboratories for medical reports.
- Attend treatment team meetings and case review conferences, when indicated.
- Review medical records, laboratory and medical reports.
- Maintain medication lists and mental health reports on young adults receiving psychotropic medication.
- Provide psychiatrists with medical information, including laboratory results for monthly medical review.
- Provide health education to young adults and staff in the practice of preventive health and safety measure.
- Provide counseling to young adults on HIV-related information.
- Lead monthly Educational groups and Patient Advisory Meetings discussing varying topics.
- Provide direct care to patients that includes (but is not limited to) providing treatment for asthma.
- Provide education for young mothers on how to optimally care for their children in their home setting.
- Collaborate with social workers, education specialists, recreation staff, mental health and other medical professionals, both at Covenant House and in the community, to assess each patient's health care needs and problems and implement health care plans. Maintain and update those plans as needed, assuring optimal quality of care.
- Provide telephone triage and advice to patients.
- Make referrals for community-based care and provide follow-up as needed.
- Provide follow-up on all patients taking psychotropic medications. Serve as liaison to mental health professionals at Covenant House.
Administrative Duties include
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Monitor annual education (CH training courses, CEUs), licenses, and employee health requirements.
- Monitor annual competencies clinical staff: In house lab tests, biohazardous waste, BBP, HIPAA, Universal precautions
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all patient care and community based activities.
- Assist in administrative duties.
- Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse with NYS License
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Will be required to work directly under the supervision of the Medical Director
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) a plus.
- Computer Literacy and experience with using electronic health records required.
- Full-time, M, W, Thurs., Fri, 9am-5pm Tuesday 12pm-8pm
Covenant House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Vacation, Holiday, Sick, Medical, Dental, 403B
Minimum Education Required