Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Director of Business Development and Partnerships is responsible for delivering an efficient and effective award management function in terms of business development, donor relations, monitoring program compliance and developing best practice of award management processes across the Country Office.
The Director of BD&P provides strategic leadership for the organization and leads a dynamic team which is responsible for supporting annual and periodic fundraising targets. The Director of BD&P ensures on-the-job support to the program implementation teams develop a technical management process that supports ADRA’s quality standards and ensures compliance with the donor guidelines for each thematic sector.
The Director of BD&P is responsible of leading the communication with ADRA’s global network and with donors to identify funding opportunities. He will lead and co-ordinate development of high-quality proposals that are reflective of ADRA and the donor’s strategic objectives, ensuring proposal development tasks occur at high standards. During implementation, the Director and his unit will provide support and information to the technical and field-based teams to deliver donor compliant awards and high quality and timely donor reports.
The Director of Business Development and Partnerships performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Together with the Programs Director, define the strategic direction of the awards implementation unit and undertake effective planning that supports the organization to establish and maintain an efficient and effective awards management process.
- Develop and implement an organizational business development and fundraising strategy and processes
- Lead and support in the development of a Country strategies and annual planning development from a programmatic development perspective that enables proactive engagement with supporting offices and donors to secure funding opportunities in a timely manner, making recommendations and flagging issues to the CD and Senior Management as needed.
- Support the development of organizational strategies that reflects ADRA’s full spectrum mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Develop and improve long-term goals and objectives for the organization in collaboration with the Country Director and Programs Director.
- Produce regular reports for senior management on business development performance analysis. Maintain and provide donor intelligence and identify new funding opportunities. Advise on donor priorities and identify specific opportunities in coordination with the Country Programs Director.
- Research, analyses and maintain regular register of donor calls for funding applications including expressions of interest and requests for proposals.
- Advise on potential partnerships with other organizations and agencies and identify specific opportunities: Identify and pursue funding opportunities for ADRA – either as a lead agency or subcontractor – among major international agencies operating in Yemen
- Collaborate with other ADRA teams to communicate, and strategize on, new business opportunities and approaches in line with ADRA strategy: Work with ADRA senior management teams to develop action plans for new business opportunities. Research and produce internal briefs on topics and issues related to new business development (e.g. donor profiles, partner organization profiles, briefings for meetings and conferences).
Develop successful proposals and budgets
- Project design and document production: Lead the development and writing of successful funding proposals and budgets in collaboration with the Finance Director, Program Director and Operation teams. This will involve leading or supporting proposal development teams across the organization and, where relevant, using outsourced consultancy services. This includes organizing pre-proposal strategy sessions (e.g. developing win themes, SWOTs, partnering assessments); working with technical, management and finance leads on strategy; and ensuring that log frames, budgets and narrative text are developed, reviewed and edited per donor requirements.
- Provide guidance and support to development of proactive concepts, converting ideas into sellable proposals and actively participate in identifying sources of support for such proposals.
- Management of information: Direct the development and maintenance of information required for proposal development including updating capability statements, descriptions of ADRA’s technical areas of expertise, country program and/or project write-ups, development of graphics and presentations.
Communication and Advocacy:
- Develops strategic partnerships with key constituencies to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives; serves as a spokesperson/principal communications and advocacy liaison to media organizations, governmental bodies, national groups, private sector organizations, educational organizations, international organizations, etc.
- Developing and implementing communications strategies & work-plans, campaigns, events, and other initiatives in support of the ADRA Yemen strategic goals.
- Provides advice and expertise to managers, senior officers, and other public information staff on a range of advocacy and outreach issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/ public relations issues/problems.
- Drafts communications and advocacy material for WHS, including newsletters, reports, promotional materials, and talking points for senior managers.
- Takes the lead in organizing media outreach; arranges all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provides talking points and other materials as needed for senior staff; responds to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Strengthen internal new business development capacity
- Strengthen the capacity of BDU teams: Expand the capacity of BDU team members to participate in technical and cost proposals and other business development efforts through mentoring, technical assistance visits and direct training. Support country programs to develop fundraising strategies. Develop and deliver trainings and on-the-job tools and aids as required.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of ADRA’s systems: Help to develop better tools, systems, techniques, and strategies for identifying, tracking, and pursuing new business opportunities, developing proposals and budgets, and managing institutional knowledge.
Ensure positive and strong donor and host government relations
- Develop and maintain ADRA’s strategic partnerships with donors, supporting offices and other entities.
- Ensure the highest possible level of service to donors: Ensure co-ordinate communication with donors and partner NGOs. This may involve managing relationships for a portfolio of donors. Ensure quality, consistency, and continuity in ADRA’s approach with donors.
- Support, build and maintain strong relationships with donors and host country government representatives: This could include representing ADRA at meetings, conferences and workshops, networking with other NGOs, and working with Country Director and Programs Director and his teams to access thematic working groups, as well as other ADRA’s teams to support their external relations efforts
- Ensure that key staff (in program implementation, finance, operations, etc.) have a clear understanding of donor program compliance requirements throughout the project management cycle and that there is a complete monitoring plans for the implementation and reporting of all country awards.
MEAL and Quality Assurance
- Coordinate the development of a sound and adapted-to-context MEAL strategy, operational guidance –as well as action plan for its roll out, on the base of the existent tools and the lessons learnt within the country
- Provide technical support to the coordination/implementation program team for the development of new log frames for the development of new project proposals. This could include for example supporting the facilitation of meetings between MEAL and Programs to develop objectives, specific objectives, outcomes, and indicators for a new project.
- According to the methodologies and tools designed in collaboration with the Program teams, work closely with the Program Quality Manager to review projects monitoring systems and MEAL plans, including overall design, methodologies for data collection and sampling, timelines, instrumentation, data collection/aggregation and analysis.
- In cooperation with the PQM, develop ADRA Yemen’s capacity to undertake surveys and impact assessments
- In collaboration with the PQM, review the Complaints and Feedback Mechanisms within the projects, and produce a finalized document, along with an action plan as per ADRA policy
- Support management and accountability through providing routine, accurate collection and reporting of information that confirms status of program activities based on log frames and M&E frameworks. Develop the quality control systems and mechanisms needed to guarantee proper management of information and data
- Lead the process of annual reporting on contribution through ensuring indicators are standardized and included in project designs, measurement tools are standardized as well as baselines and evaluations are conducted with minimum quality standards.
- Support the PQ team in reviewing management reports as well as donor reports to ensure validated M&E data and M&E compliance with recommended guidelines, formats and standard
Management Role and Leadership
- Design and implement a coherent organizational structure for the BD&P Unit that is consistent with the agency practices and appropriate to program needs.
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly to program implementation, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, working closely with ADRA’s Global and Regional Offices.
- In coordination with the HR Director, recruit, interview and select well-qualified staff for programs and the business development unit.
- Ensure that the Business Development and Partnership unit expands capacity to fulfill the organization’s need
- Manage and implement a performance management process for supervisees.
- Ensure supervised staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards.
- Supervise staff by providing direction, input, and feedback.
- Perform any other related tasks as instructed by the CD.