Los Angeles Waterkeeper, a dynamic environmental nonprofit organization founded in 1993 to fight for the health of the region’s waterways, is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as Staff Attorney. The Staff Attorney will focus on litigation and regulatory and legislative advocacy in our efforts to protect and restore inland and coastal waterways throughout Los Angeles County and promote sustainable water policies for the region. This position will report to LAW’s Senior Attorney, and will work closely with our Staff Scientist, Associate Director, and Executive Director to advance LAW’s Pollution Prevention, Healthy Habitats, and Systems Change programs.
LAW staff currently work remotely due to the pandemic; the Staff Attorney will ultimately be located in Los Angeles, CA. Though our office is currently located in Santa Monica, we plan to relocate in 2021, most likely to Downtown LA.
· Conduct detailed research and draft comment letters and petitions for review on policies, permits, and regulations related to water quality and water supply issues.
· Represent Los Angeles Waterkeeper at administrative agency hearings and other meetings and advocacy events.
· Working with the legal team and Associate and Executive Directors, identify and develop strategies to pursue substantive areas for regulatory and policy changes to further LAW’s mission.
· Working with the legal team and Associate and Executive Directors, develop legal strategies to advance and support LA Waterkeeper’s mission.
· Draft Clean Water Act notices of intent to file citizen lawsuit, pleadings and briefs, interview witnesses and draft declarations, and otherwise manage new and existing cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals in conjunction with Senior attorney.
· Assist in managing relationships with co-counsel, experts, and coalition partners.
· Supervise the work of legal interns, as applicable.
· Organizational support for legal and policy work including contributing to organizational communications in writing and in person, attending regular staff meetings and organizational functions, and assisting development staff with identification of funding opportunities, grant writing, and reporting.
Qualifications & Requirements:
1. Applicants must be law school graduates with admission to the California bar, or attorneys licensed in another state who are sitting for the February 2021 CA bar exam.
2. 2-5 years of regulatory or legislative advocacy or litigation experience; experience in multiple forms of regulatory/legal advocacy is a plus.
3. Experience in administrative and/or pre-trial proceedings (e.g., regulatory comments, discovery, including document production and preparation of fact and expert witnesses, motion practice); evidentiary hearings.
4. Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy and presentation skills, and experience distilling complex legal concepts for a variety of audiences.
5. Knowledge of the Clean Water Act is preferred; knowledge of complementary environmental laws (CEQA/NEPA, ESA, etc.) an added benefit.
6. Some background in science is preferred.
7. Demonstrated passion for and commitment to clean water, healthy ecosystems, resilient communities, and environmental health and justice.
8. Experience with project management, including demonstrated ability to oversee timelines, task lists and budgets.
9. Hard working, self-motivated, and possesses good judgment.
10. Ability to think strategically.
Los Angeles Waterkeeper, a dynamic environmental nonprofit organization founded in 1993 to fight for the health of the region’s waterways, is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as Staff Attorney. The Staff Attorney will…
We offer paid health, vision, and dental insurance, as well as access to a 403(b)-retirement plan with the goal of providing a match within the next two years. Flexibility to work remotely. Generous paid time off policy.
We offer paid health, vision, and dental insurance, as well as access to a 403(b)-retirement plan with the goal of providing a match within the next two years. Flexibility to work…