With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don’t have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Senior Political Associate will conduct research, provide reports, and develop materials on legislative, policy and campaign issues, as well as provide other general administrative support to the Political Director. This position is fixed-term with an expected end date of December 31, 2018.
Reports to: Political Director
Description of Duties:
- Where required, assist the Political Director with political strategy development;
- Assist in facilitating implementation of political activities with Working America national and field staff.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of electoral and voter targeting, analytical and evaluative systems;
- Interact with elected officials, candidates, staff and allies in connection with Working America priorities, and provide guidance to Working America staff on interactions at national and state level;
- Independently manage related projects;
- Conduct and organize research on legislative, policy and campaign issues, and monitor developments;
- Manage campaign literature system, including conducting research, drafting documents, tracking literature development, proofing, printing and coordinating approval and monitoring use in multiple field offices;
- Work on multiple elections in different states at any given time;
- Build reports in Excel, Access and other similar databases;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
- At least five years of combined experience in political campaigns, labor and/or legislative fields, including senior level decision making, program strategy and execution.
- Demonstrated research and writing skills covering a variety of topics and formats, as well as solid verbal communications capacity required.
- Track record of work with databases, including VAN, NGP and/or other similar systems required.
- Experience working with labor unions, candidates or parties, and elected officials strongly preferred.
- Experience with evidence based electoral analytics and research
- Familiarity with Congressional and/or state legislative process, and research resources strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with digital organizing tools such as email, peer-to-peer texting, digital advertising, etc.;
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn new skills related to job duties.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Calm under pressure.
- Work well as part of a team in a multi-tasking, detail and deadline oriented environment, as well as willingness to seek assistance/clarification whenever necessary.
- Appreciation and general understanding of canvassing as a grassroots organizing strategy a plus.
- Experience with independent expenditure campaigns a plus.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours as necessary.
- Extensive travel to field offices, conferences and other events required.
- A bachelor's degree in political science or other related field is preferred.
- Washington, DC
- FLSA classification: Exempt
Competitive salary and benefits package includes health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution.
Minimum Education Required