Details: $13.50 P/H - $15.00 P/H
35 Starr Street
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The North Brooklyn YMCA is seeking a qualified individual who will assist in the management, supervision and facilitation of all core programming for the teen population at the North Brooklyn YMCA Beacon Center. The Teen Advisor will assist the Beacon Center Leadership in program development, community development, leadership, college readiness and outreach. Additionally, the incumbent will also assist in the creation of recruitment and retention for teens through following and implanting all the YMCA of Greater New York Teen, Youth & Family and Teen Program Standards.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Create an environment that is diverse, culturally sensitive and relevant to the needs of teens.
- Develop positive relationships with the participants, their friends and family members.
- Ability to work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments.
- Acts as the liaison to YMCA of Greater New York in regards to teen issues.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement program registration, program workshops, and special events.
- Support the Beacon Director/Assistant Beacon Director in the creation and submission of weekly and quarterly reports.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information and help compile program statistics.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, Department of Youth and Community Development and YMCA of Greater New York standards.
- Manage administrative data entry, Youth Service.NET, coordination of participant paperwork and management of teen participant portfolios.
- Assist in fund development endeavors for the branch.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; working towards a degree in Education, is strongly desired.
- Current CPR / First Aid / AED certification preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth and teens.
- Experience teaching and facilitating trainings on issues related to teens.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to manage adolescent behavior with respect, maturity, compassion and encouragement.
- Administrative skills, including data entry and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, preferred.
- Must be available Thursdays 4:00 PM – 6:00PM and Friday, 5:00PM – 7:00PM.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Teen Advisor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
North Brooklyn YMCA – MS 347/349
Attn.: Mercedes Rivas
35 Starr Street
Brooklyn, NY 11221
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.