1100 New Jersey Avenue Southeast
District of Columbia
The Junior Accountant will provide accounting support to the Finance team in African Wildlife Foundation's (AWF) Washington, DC office. This support will include areas of accounts payable, revenue, procurement, and staff travel/credit card expense management in accordance with AWF’s policies and procedures. The Junior Accountant will also provide support in filing and archival practices. The position is a perfect opportunity for someone with a few years of experience looking to grow, or with a stellar educational record hoping to start their career in accounting.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Revenue & Accounting
- Manage daily cash receipts for the US office by ensuring swift and accurate deposits.
- Assist in the accurate and timely posting of bank entries to the accounting system in reconciliation with Raisers Edge (Fundraising database).
- Review and process staff advances and credit card expense reconciliations accurately with all supporting documentation.
- Manage DC office petty cash operations.
- Assist in the monthly close of books by ensuring completion of the monthly assigned checklist.
- Train and assist DC staff to ensure timely submission of requisitions, staff advances, and credit card reconciliations.
- Support review of joint cost materials on a monthly basis in preparation for the annual audit.
Accounts Payable & Treasury
- Process accounts payables accurately per the contract terms for US office vendors via check/wires. Occasionally, process wire payment requests from HQ from US bank accounts.
- Process field offices cash request wires timely and accurately on approvals.
- In coordination with Procurement team, maintain vendor records including payment and terms data.
- Assist in identifying US-based vendors and procuring goods as may be required for use in DC or Africa in compliance with AWF’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure all disbursements comply with Donor and IRS regulations.
- Monitor US bank account activity and ensure adequate cash balance to support smooth operations.
- Review and process purchase requisitions and purchase orders in accordance with AWF’s procurement policies.
- Manage accounting office storage and filing.
- Assist with accurate inventory of off-site storage contents, with a procedure to preen the files semi-annually.
- Assist in gathering support documentation in preparation of annual/donor audits.
- Collect and scan all finance documentation in an organized electronic filing structure that is user-friendly to key staff.
- Provide administration support when needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Team.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/business or related field.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to multi-task, excellent attention to details, exercise good judgment and resolve problems with minimum supervision.
- Flexible, culturally sensitive, and exude a “team” attitude.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with staff, partners and donors.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply