The Risk Officer is responsible for developing and maintaining credit policies and procedures, as well as providing oversight of risk rating quality and integrity across the portfolio, managing the risk review process, and preparing portfolio level reports and analysis. S/he supports the review of credit memos to ensure completeness and compliance with policy, prior to submission for credit approval. The Risk Officer is also responsible for the Senior Lending team and Risk Oversight Committee meetings.
Lending Policies and Procedures Development and Implementation
- Work closely with the Chief Credit Officer and other senior management on the lending team to develop, document, and implement lending policies and procedures.
- Manage pipeline of policies and procedures in development.
- Draft policies and procedures, oversee policies and procedures drafted by other staff, and ensure proper formatting and placement within existing policy and procedures.
- Work closely with the Director, Lending Operations to develop and define procedures and system updates related to new or existing lending policies.
- Maintain lending policy manuals, including language translations, intranet access.
- Facilitate the dissemination and understanding of policies and procedures, including delivering policy training and acting as a resource for questions related to lending policies and procedures.
- Plan and facilitate monthly Lending Policy Retreats, as well as bi-monthly Senior Lending Team meetings.
- Work with Lending Operations and IT teams on lending systems projects as necessary.
Portfolio Quality Reporting and Analysis
- Perform reporting and analysis of the portfolio at risk.
- Participate and record action items in regional, monthly risk review meetings.
- Provide month-end risk classifications, write-off decisions, and accrual status changes to the Treasury and Accounting teams. Support the Accounting department in the calculation of the month-end allowance for loan losses as necessary.
- Prepare reports for monthly Risk Oversight Committee meetings and quarterly Finance & Risk Committee meetings. Record meeting minutes.
- Act as a resource for portfolio quality related data requests from other departments.
Risk Rating Oversight
- Following monthly risk review meetings, confirm that risk ratings are accurate in the system.
- Monitor risk ratings on a regular basis to confirm they are accurate and complete, in compliance with policy, and follow up with relevant staff as needed.
- Monitor all loans with third party partners for changes to credit status and ensure that any required third party partner notifications are provided.
Third Party Guarantees
- Coordinate with Chief Credit Officer and Senior Associate, Credit Administration to identify loans for placement under third party guarantee coverage.
- Review third party liquid guarantee semi-annual reporting and claims prior to submission to the third party.
Perform other duties as necessary
- Support the review of Credit Memos prior to submission for approval to confirm quality and completeness, providing feedback to Loan Officers and Credit Analysts.
- Support training and orientation for new staff.
- Participate in staff meetings and Brown Bag presentations.
- Represent the Lending Team in cross-departmental initiatives.
- Participate in projects for the Lending Team and Root Capital as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, finance, economics, or a related field
- 5+ years professional experience in financial services or international development
- Credit training or experience with credit operations, accounting, or financial analysis strongly preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Highly detail-oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Proactive, creative, problem-solving attitude
- Fluent in spoken and written Spanish
- Salesforce experience a plus
- Working knowledge of French a plus
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of:empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent English and Spanish required, working knowledge of French a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply by using the form on Root Capital's website.