Mercy Learning Center is looking for an empathetic and supportive Case Worker with mentoring skills and a genuine desire to help and improve the lives of others. As a Case Worker at Mercy Learning Center, you will help students cope with difficulties through coaching, counseling, advocacy and support. Must have a passion for this under served community and enjoy working in a fast paced environment.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Determine nature of student's situation by interviewing student; assessing medical, psychological, emotional, and social information; establish course of action by exploring options; setting goals with student.
- Provide counseling in multiple disciplines; housing, finance, legal, employment, medical, immigration, etc.
- Obtain assistance for student by referring them to community resources; arranging for appointments; establishing rapport with other agencies.
- Assist and advocate for students by attending appointments to hospitals, doctors or clinics, court, children's schools, etc.
- Foster student's action or adjustment by interpreting attitudes and patterns of behavior; explaining and pointing out new options.
- Maintain record of case by documenting student's situation and student's own actions.
- Monitor planned actions by regular follow-up.
- Stay abreast of social services available to students in the city. Communicates information to staff and students as appropriate.
- Develop strong working relationship and contact list with frequently used city agencies. Represent Mercy Learning Center in a professional manner, advocating for student services when appropriate.
- Conduct home visits as needed with permission of Director of Operations.
- Monitor and maintain daily casework.
- Monitor and organize all social service volunteers.
- Report to Director of Operations.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings
- Participate in professional staff development activities
- Be punctual for all meetings, work and classroom assignments
- Work in a collaborative style; supportive of all areas of the Center
- Submit daily reports to Director of Operations
- Assist President in any additional work as needed
- B.S. in Human Services or related field
- Empathetic and patient
- Must be a critical thinker
- Must have excellent problem solving skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Highly motivated, creative with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide comprehensive, intensive services to those most in need, including acting as a strong advocate
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently
- Must have valid driver's license and access to own reliable transportation with proof of insurance
- Fluency in Spanish and English – Strong oral and written skills in both languages a must
- Ability to work 40 hours a week - Monday through Friday