8794-O Sacramento Drive
Founded in 1988, FACETS is a well-established nonprofit organization that touches and improves the lives of thousands of families and individuals every year. FACETS opens doors by helping parents, their children, and individuals who suffer the effects of poverty in Fairfax County. We meet their emergency shelter, food, and medical needs, help them gain safe sustainable and permanent housing and work with them to end the cycle of homelessness and poverty through educational, life skills and career counseling programs.
FACETS is hiring a full-time Facilities Specialist to maintain apartment units and grounds at the Next Steps Family Program located in 18 scattered site apartments in Alexandria, VA. The Facilities Specialist will conduct regular apartment inspections to ensure the facilities are safe, sanitary, and habitable. The successful candidate will have strong handyman skills and will be skilled in providing low level maintenance such as: testing smoke detectors, replacing light bulbs, clearing drains and toilets, caulking tubs and showers, replacing doorknobs, replacing mini blinds, shampooing carpet, and moving furniture as well as higher lever maintenance to include installing doors, windows, cabinets, electrical fixtures, and plumbing fixtures.. The Facilities Specialist is responsible for cleaning, repairing, and turnover of apartment units as families exit the 30-day rapid re-housing program.
FACILITIES SPECIALIST RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travels between shelter units to inspect units for safety and habitability.
- Manages and performs all work related to the maintenance of shelter units including but not limited to custodial and repair of the units.
- Repairs and/or installs doors, windows, and cabinets.
- Repairs and/or installs electrical and plumbing fixtures.
- Maintains equipment for cleaning and repairing shelter units. Also maintains accurate records of all maintenance repairs. Performs repairs or gets authorization to have repairs made as needed.
- Maintains cleaning and repair supply inventory list and reviews list quarterly.
- Keeps units safe by making sure they meet building code requirements.
- Works with Program Director to report problems, solutions, and costs associated. Provides a weekly status update on all work and projects.
- Develops and maintains a relationship with all contactors and vendors ensuring efficient facility operations.
- Provides oversight of volunteer maintenance staff.
- Assists Program Director when a change needs to be made requiring a change to facilities.
- Provides tenant education on basic apartment maintenance including cleaning and repairs.
- Works a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Participates in program staff meetings and conferences to share ideas and plans; works cooperatively with staff to meet FACETS goals.
- Represents FACETS in the community, in accord with Agency Mission, Vision, and Code of Ethics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent diploma/GED required plus at least two (2) years of experience in capacity having overall responsibility for facility maintenance, sanitation and over-all janitorial duties.
- Ability to coordinate, monitor, and ensure work is completed by self, volunteers, or by contracted vendors.
- Must be able to perform facility and household repairs including, but not limited to, electrical work, plumbing, and installing household fixtures.
- Must be able to perform housekeeping and janitorial techniques; and be able to maintain program records. Must be able to ensure adequate supplies are maintained and available for accomplishing tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move furniture.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Results-oriented, highly organized.
- Individuals who have knowledge of homelessness and housing issues or have participated in homeless or housing programs are encouraged to apply.
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, good driving record, and personal car insurance.
- Candidate must be able to drive 15 passenger van.
- Criminal, CPS, DMV background checks and TB Tests required.
Equal Employment Opportunity M/F/D/V.
How to apply: Please e-mail resume and cover letter to mwilliams@FacetsCares.org
Minimum Education Required