COVER Intensive Case Manager
About Swords to Plowshares
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides counseling and case management, employment and training, housing, and legal assistance to veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. We promote and protect the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state, and national entities. Believing that war causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the battlefield, our mission is to heal the wounds of war and to restore dignity, hope, and self-sufficiency to all veterans in need, and to end homelessness and poverty among those we serve. To learn more about Swords to Plowshares, please visit our website at www.swords-to-plowshares.org.
Assist non-honorable discharged incarcerated (90-days pre-release) participants of the COVER Program at San Francisco Sheriff Department/County Jail #5, by developing a relationship with participant of trust and commitment to prepare through a participant-centered strategy for the participant to gain access to needed educational, medical, social, residential, financial and other services appropriate for the participant. Post-release (180-days), the Intensive Case Manager (ICM) will coordinate and monitor the participant prescribed treatment/re-entry services.
This is a 32-hour position, but schedule can be flexible
- Complete all ICM paperwork, i.e., Services Document forms, Participant Outcome Reports, Participant Registration Forms, etc.
- Complete participant Service Plans with emphasis on participant’s strengths and needs.
- Assess and evaluate new ICM participants when assigned to caseload
- Be aware of ICM participants’ financial, educational, housing liabilities; coordinate any changes with available community resources, and assist participants in securing third party resources when indicated
- Act as participant advocate in regards to the courts and reporting, probation, and parole
- Attend weekly ICM Clinical Case Conference meetings with Project Supervisor
- Link participant with services by assisting with locating, assisting and obtaining appropriate services
- Monitoring service-delivery by maintaining regular contact (3 hours per week inside/outside) with participant, as well as service providers/programs involved with participant
- Informal support and network building to help participant increase his support system pre and post-release
- Outreach, including routine home visits for ICM participants
- Perform other tasks as delegated by the COVER Program Coordinator
- Employee must be able to carry out the essential duties of the position within what can be considered reasonable accommodation
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience providing case management, coaching, mentoring to low-income and high-risk populations
- Translatable military experience and skills may be alternatively substituted
- Ample administrative support experience
- Must be able to gain clearance to access the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department jail systems
- Valid Driver’s License – verifiable insurance; use of personal auto preferred
- Flexibility and willingness to perform multiple jobs in a work environment with changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to interact well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Must adhere to all jail rules and regulations
- Ability to use computer, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities and be comfortable working with an at-risk client population, including embracing the agency’s Cultural Humility Initiative
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
Position requires prolonged standing, walking and sitting and repetitive hand movement using a computer keyboard in the performance of daily office activities. Must be able to perform all essential functions as described within what would be considered reasonable accommodations.
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Swords to Plowshares offers a generous benefits package including the following benefits:
- Excellent medical and dental packages
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Paid vacation in the first year
- 12 holidays every year
- Wellness program
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
(No calls please)
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in Swords to Plowshares, where/how you found out about this career opportunity, and your salary requirement. Email the cover letter along with your resume to email@example.com.
Please include the exact title for this position in the subject line of your email:
COVER Intensive Case Manager
Swords to Plowshares is an inclusive employer and we are proud of the rich diversity among our staff. Please join us!