Details: Salary is determined by Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
1360 Fulton Street
BROOKLYN LEGAL SERVICES seeks a full-time receptionist.
Brooklyn Legal Services, part of Legal Services NYC’s Brooklyn Programs, provides high-quality, innovative representation to address the pressing legal needs of Brooklyn’s diverse low-income population. It focuses on the problems that have the greatest impact on our clients – preserving affordable and decent housing, maintaining income support, redressing abusive lending and consumer practices, promoting family stability and mitigating the effects of domestic violence, and advocating for the disabled.
The responsibilities of this position include all of the duties under Receptionist/Switchboard Operator as described in the collective bargaining agreement. These include, but are not limited, to:
· Welcoming prospective clients and visitors to the office and directing them to the appropriate casehandler or external resource;
· Answering the phones, including responding to inquiries regarding our services and making referrals, directing calls and taking messages, sorting and distributing the mail;
· Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of our office priorities and intake procedures;
· Assessing whether prospective clients can be assisted by our office and giving information about how to access our services;
· Identifying appropriate referrals for people who cannot be assisted by our office, using LawHelp, organizations’ websites, and other available resources, and making referrals;
· Conducting or assisting in the performance of preliminary intake or screening interviews, including preparation of appropriate forms; and
· Translating for Limited English Proficiency callers and visitors or using telephone translation services as needed.
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to relate with a wide range of people including low-income clients, case handlers, and representatives of community organizations. S/he must be able to maintain a calm demeanor in a stressful and fast-paced environment.
The candidate must also be skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, internet research and be comfortable learning and adapting to new technologies. Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Russian or a Chinese-dialect is strongly preferred; prior legal and/or social services experience is preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is governed by our Collective Bargaining Agreement. We offer an excellent benefits package. Mentorship, training and advancement opportunities are provided.
Salary and benefits are determined by the LS-NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Legal Services NYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people and people over 40 are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent medical, pre-tax flexible benefits for medical, vision, dental and eligible child care reimbursement; and retirement plans and generous paid annual and sick leave days.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Russian or a Chinese-dialect is strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Please write “RECEPTIONIST” in the subject line of the email.
Please, no telephone calls.