Director of Development is a new role for Team Read, with significant opportunities to build on a long track record of organizational impact and success. We need someone who is creative while grounded in specific and solid fundraising expertise, bringing to the work demonstrated understanding of fundraising principles. This person will know how to roll with big ideas and manage fine details at the same time. They can keep processes running smoothly while making room for constant improvement and innovation. They are a curious systems thinker and builder who also loves the high-touch personal engagement central to effective fundraising. A member of a small but mighty team, they are self-directed but not siloed.
Leadership and Collaboration: The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and support her in keeping the board informed and engaged in fundraising, while nurturing a culture of philanthropy across the organization. This role will play a key part in devising and advancing our overall fundraising strategy, with particular focus on individuals, supported by the Executive Director, board and colleagues. This individual’s work will include considering and developing new ideas, tactics and action plans for connecting with our supporters and stakeholders in Seattle and South King County.
Donor Development Planning and Strategy: The Development Director will have primary responsibility for evaluating and nurturing our individual support base, soliciting and stewarding major gifts and driving board engagement in donor relations to grow our individual support base and unrestricted philanthropic revenue. This role will oversee, implement and manage systems for donor tracking and moves management – identifying and qualifying prospects, cultivating and soliciting gifts, and acknowledgement and stewardship.
Communications: This individual will collaborate with the Communications Manager to envision and implement an effective communications plan to support fund development and individual giving. They will work closely with the Communications Manager as a peer on content, messaging, and materials that support the individual gifts strategy and will actively look for exciting stories to tell and provide input on how we most effectively connect with audiences and share our impact.
The Director of Development will lead the effort, in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Communications Manager, to define and execute a data-driven strategy for sustained growth in individual giving. Together, these three primary members of the fundraising team will work to glean insights from and build on Team Read’s existing fundraising strengths and successes, and support board members and staff in finding their own appropriate, meaningful role in the near and mid-term fundraising strategy.
Ideal Skills and Qualifications:
● Commitment to quality education for all, youth development, and racial equity. Ability to articulate personal passion for Team Read’s mission, values and commitment to equity.
● 3 to 5 years of paid fundraising development experience with increasing responsibilities including shaping strategy, direct in-person gift solicitation, grant cultivation and stewardship.
● Strong appetite and ideas for creating strategies and opportunities that generate individual donor and community engagement.
● Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
● Commitment to learning and engaging in anti-racist practices and to advancing an environment that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● Strong time management and organizational skills; demonstrated ability to multitask effectively.
● Exceptionally attentive to detail, specifically regarding data entry and data integrity.
● Motivated, entrepreneurial, strategic, confident, organized, flexible, and comfortable working independently while also maintaining a strong commitment to teamwork and collaboration.
● Experience using a donor database or Customer Relations Management (CRM) platform.
● Proficient in MS Office Suite, Salesforce, and project management software a plus.
Director of Development is a new role for Team Read, with significant opportunities to build on a long track record of organizational impact and success. We need someone who is creative while grounded in specific and solid fundraising…
Team Read offers competitive benefits, a compelling mission and dedicated and passionate co-workers (core and school-based staff and teens). Benefits include employer-paid health insurance for employee, a technology stipend, 15 days of vacation and PTO in year one and 10 paid holidays, plus an additional 10 paid days annually during school holiday closures.
Team Read offers competitive benefits, a compelling mission and dedicated and passionate co-workers (core and school-based staff and teens). Benefits include employer-paid…